Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a normal question asked in here.. But I thought yall could help =)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

SOO We just bought our first home. And I am about to start attempting updating it. But, We will be moving in a few years ( Military ) and would like to make the house "ours" but also ready to sell. If that makes since. I am wanting to start on both my kids rooms. Originally I was wanting to paint my daughters room a very VERY soft pink. To where you would not be able to really tell it was pink unless you had pink or white in the room. And I was going to do the same with my son's, but light blue. My husband has a huge problem with this. He doesn't understand that we will most likely be re painting before we move any ways, just because or normal ware and tear. But any ways, I need to appease him, and do something me and the kids will enjoy, and still make the rooms look better! lol (Sorry im so new to all this and have no clue where to start lol)

So Right now both rooms are white, and have boarders I will be taking down. And the rooms don't have baseboards (I want to put some in, but an debating on waiting until we replace the carpets) I would also like to put crown molding in, but the rest of the house doesn't have this, so im thinking it will make the kids rooms look to different. (the house is country theme)

So I am thinking of doing the chair railing around both rooms ( the boarder or molding about in the middle of the walls ) But I still don't know what color to paint the rooms to keep them neutral colors, but yet go with the kids rooms. My daughter has pink and purple and is in to soccer ( im prob. going to get soccer decals and make them pink and black ) If I do, do the "chair rails" I was going to leave to top half white, but don't know what color for the bottom. Same prob. with my son's room. He likes dino's and toy story.. I'm sorry so long, im just so lost! Any help, advice ect is needed!

I'm excited to start work on our first home. And I normally am great with colors. But when it comes to the kids rooms, I want to make them fun. and I don't know how to make neutrals fun lol

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I'd say white on the bottom half of the walls, and whatever other color on the top. You can always paint over it in a neutral beige before moving and it would require little work, and the white chair rail would look snappy!

Frantic4Mommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM

true.. wouldnt have to be re painting whole walls either.. Ya well see how the chair rails go lol ive never done anything like that!

Caitlin2407
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM
I think chair rail + white wainscotting (sp?) on the bottom half of the wall and then light blue/light pink for the top half. We used peel and stick wall decorations in my daughters room and you can find them in most stores (Home Goods, Target, Lowe's, etc) we got ours from Target. If he is opposed to painting the walls really colorful you could go with a neutral shad of magnetic paint (Lowe's or Home Depot) and let them hang up their own artwork and magnetic frames. You can even used corn starch and water (I believe even spray starch) to hang fabric on the wall. It's like wall paper without the crazy adhesive and you can use wide ribbon as the border and "moldings". Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin2407
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Oh, another thought. Why not choose a neutral color (cream, off white, etc) for most of the walls and then have one accent wall of whatever color they want. It could be the wall their bed is up against or whatever. Then they can still have a pop of color but you'll only have to repaint one wall as opposed to 4+
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kanna
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If you make your decorations on fabric then hang the fabric where you can conseal the evidence when you move then white with a neutral is good, but truthfully don't most people paint when they move in to a new house? I'd sit with hubby and see where a comprimise can be made. It's not worth a fight. Have fun!

Frantic4Mommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Wow thank yall so much! i never thought of fabric or the magnetic paint! I wonder how it would be to do the fabric on the bottem half, and the mag. paint on the top. I guess I mean how easy would it be to conver it to a selling look.. If I did the magnetic paint, think i would be able to hang up the chair rail with magnets? hummmm.. ya thank yall! 

MissElissa21
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I don't think it would be strong enough to hold the chair rail especially with kids running around and playing in there. You would have to nail them up. Pink and brown go cute together for a girl and then you could just repaint the pink when you leave. Brown and blue also go good together. So does a mint green and brown. Some other people may even like those color combinations to keep. I would talk to my realtor and see what would be acceptable for resale.

Balancing
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

We painted our one daughter's room an apricot kind of yellow and used purple pink accents, curtains...  

I would keep the wainscoating all white or cream. 

Frantic4Mommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Thank you! Most of these color combo's i didnt even think about before lol

sew4fun
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I would do a light green in your girls room, it will go with almost any color. I would go with either a med shade green or a blue in your boys room .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)