Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Hair bow How to

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here are somethings I got from girlythingsbows.com

White grosgrain ribbon:
7” for outer body
4 ¼” for middle body
3” for EACH ear

Pink satin or grosgrain ribbon:
4 ¼” to cover clip
3 ½” for inner body
3” for EACH ear

4” any skinny ribbon for tiny neck bow 2 googly eyes Double prong alligator hair clip

Step-by-Step Instructions
(The term “glue” is used and is referring to a “hot glue gun”, but fabric or craft glues would work too.)
(Instructions on how to cover a clip and make a tiny bow are at the end.)

Heat seal ends of all ribbon pieces.

Take the 3 ½“ pink ribbon and glue ends forming the inner body piece.

Take the 4 ¼” white ribbon and glue ends forming the middle body piece.

Glue those two pieces together with just a dab of glue at the top point, just leaving a bit of the pink showing, slightly offset.

Take the 7” white ribbon and glue it to the front of the body at the point.  
Then place a dab of glue at the point to create the outer body layer matching the same spacing as the inner pieces as shown.  

Loop the ribbon around to form the head and glue on the back side.  
For the ears, take each 3” pink ribbon and loop around gluing at the bottom.  
Take each 3” white ribbon and glue to outer edge of each pink ear piece as shown.
Then wrap around and glue at base, slightly offset to show edge of white behind pink.
{Don’t worry if white ribbon doesn’t reach back all the way down to the base – it won’t show.}  
Glue ears to back of head.
{This will flatten head loop.}
Glue bunny to covered clip
...leaving end of clip showing down thru tummy.
Glue on eyes & neck bow.  

Mini Tutorial: How to Line an Alligator Clip

Take the 4 ¼” pink ribbon (yellow shown here) and put glue on the one end as long as your clip is.  Then fold ribbon over, gluing to itself thru prongs.

Open your clip and put the ribbon in all the way to the end, glue side up. Don’t get any glue on back of clip!
Peel back the unglued end and put glue on clip to the end. Glue ribbon down.
Place a small dab of glue on the under side of clip end and glue. Repeat on other inside edge. 
Then put glue on the end of the ribbon and fold over and glue to clip. {You don’t want ribbon too far down on bottom side of clip. It will snag in your little one’s hair.}
Cut it shorter if you need to and heat seal end before gluing.

Mini Tutorial: Tiny Bows

Make a template out of chipboard or sturdy cardstock. Cut a piece 1” by 4”. {I do 4” to make it easy to measure ribbon later.} Cut a notch out of the center, about an inch long.  

Take the 4” piece of skinny ribbon and center it behind template, near the top of the notch. Criss-cross it in front.
Clip in place.
Take a piece of thread (I use quilting thread) ...

... and tie the center.
Remove the clips and slide off template.
Cut small piece to go around center of ribbon. Trim excess thread. Place a dab of glue on front of ribbon and glue small piece in place.

Then glue all the way around.
Trim ribbon ends at an angle ...
... and heat seal.
For a different look, tie a knot in the small ribbon piece before gluing to center of bow.

by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Dark Yellow grosgrain ribbon:
7” for outer body

Light Yellow grosgrain ribbon:
3 ¾” for middle body
1” EACH wing, cut at an angle
4 ¼” to cover clip

White grosgrain ribbon:
3” for inner body

Orange grosgrain ribbon:
1 ¼” for beak

4” any skinny ribbon for tiny neck bow
2 googly eyes
Double prong alligator hair clip

(The term “glue” is used and is referring to a “hot glue gun”, but fabric or craft glues would work too.)
(Instructions on how to cover a clip and make a tiny bow can be found at the bottom of the Easter Bunny Clippie instructions.)

Heat seal ends of all ribbon pieces.

Take the 3“white ribbon and glue ends forming the inner body piece.
Take the 3 ¾“light yellow ribbon and glue ends forming the middle body piece.

Glue those two pieces together with just a dab of glue at the top point, just leaving a bit of the white showing, slightly offset.

Take the 7” dark yellow ribbon and glue it to the front of the body at the point.  
Then place a dab of glue at the point to create the outer body layer matching the same spacing as the inner pieces as shown.  
Loop the ribbon around to form the head and glue on the back side.
For the wings, take each 1” dark yellow ribbon and glue at neck. {Don’t worry about them being perfect – the tops will be covered by a bow.} Angle back slightly.
Glue chick to covered clip, leaving end of clip showing thru tummy. Also, make sure the head is glued in front of clip.
NOT LIKE THIS!
Make beak by folding 1 ¼” orange ribbon into cone shape. Glue.
Cut excess off top and heat seal.
Glue on eyes, beak, and bow.  
Back view.

sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • Alligator Clips
  • Glue Gun or Fabri-tac
  • 3/8 inch red grosgrain (or any other color you want to use to line the clippie) – 3 ¼ inches
  • ¼ inch black grosgrain cut to the following lengths:
    • 3 ¾ inches
    • 3 inches
    • 2 ¼ inches
    • 2 inches – 2 pieces
    • 1 ½ inches – 2 pieces
  • If making a girl mouse, you'll need materials to form a tiny bow for the head.

• Line your alligator clip with whatever color ribbon you'd like to be your background.

• Glue each of the black grosgrain pieces into circles.

• Glue the 3 ¾, 3 and 2 ¼ inch pieces together to form one circle with 2 inside circles. It will look like this.

• Glue one 2 inch piece and one 1 ½ inch piece together to form one ear and do it again to form the other ear. They will look like this.
  • Glue the ears to the head.

• Glue the head to the clippie – place the glue along the top edge across the ears.

• The finished clippie will look like this.

• If you'd like to make a girl mouse then add a small bow to one side of the head like this

AUTHOR NOTE:
I used a glue gun on one and fabri-tac on the other. I found the fabri-tac made for a cleaner look, but I had to hold the pieces together to allow them to set before I could move on. I basically used alligator clips to hold them together while I did other work. By the time I finished gluing and clipping, the first pieces were set and I could move on. If you are neat and tidy with hot glue then that would be the faster choice. If you're like me and make a mess with hot glue, fabri-tac would be a cleaner solution.

Hope everyone enjoys!

maddiesmamma717
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I've seen these, super cute, ive also seen them made with some glitter ribbon, let me see if i can find the picture

northernmommy
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Love it!

maddiesmamma717
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM

sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM

The Castle Clippie design and photos were provided by Tara Schroeder. Credit where credit is due! Many thanks to Tara for helping to enlarge our collection of FREE bow instructions. Check out her Etsy shop, Tara Marie's Shoppe.

Materials:

• Alligator Clip
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Scissors
  • 3/8" grosgrain for turrets and to line the clip
  • 7/8" grosgrain for castle base and towers
  • 1/4" grosgrain for windows
  • 7/8" grosgrain for door

First, take a 1" piece of 3/8" ribbon color of your choice, fold it on itself, and glue it in a 'cone' shape.
Do this step twice.

Then, take a 1" piece of 7/8" ribbon color of your choice, glue it to the front of the 'cone', at the top.
Then, take the sides, wrap them around the back, and glue down.
Remember to use just a small amount of glue for this -- a bead of it down the edge.
You *may* need to trim off a small amount to keep it from looking 'bulky' in back.
Remember also, to do this step twice!
Next, take a 2" strip of 7/8" ribbon, and glue in the sides (just a little bit!)
Then, glue a small bit on the bottom up on itself.

Turn it over, and glue one of the 'towers' on the edge of the castle
After you have the towers glued on, make the windows.
I used 1/4" ribbon, and cut VERY SMALL squares. SEAL THEM!! I used Fray Check.
Then, make a drawbridge by cutting "U" shape into a piece of 7/8" white ribbon.
You now have a completed castle! At this point, glue it on a lined clippie.
You can makes these in ALL SORTS of color combinations!
Here is the castle glued to a clip that has been covered in the same accent ribbon used for the turrets.

sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Materials:
1.5 inch white grosgrain Ribbon
5/8 yellow grosgrain ribbon
3/8 green (example uses "Lemon Grass" from OFFRAY)
Hot glue
Scissors
Alligator Clip

sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM

The instructions and photos for the Loopy Surround Bow were provided by Ann Whisler of Creative Works By Ann. Many thanks for helping to enlarge our collection of FREE instructions. This style is also called a Surround-a-Bow or Surround-a-Bow Loops.

Materials

1 Boutique Fold Bow, ready for mounting.

2-3 lengths of ribbon for surround a loops (3/8” width ribbon shown), cut to same length or +1” of Boutique fold bow ribbon length. See example below. Seal ends.

1 section of ribbon for base/support bow, seal ends. See example below.

3-5 pieces of ribbon for ribbon sprays. Trim and Seal ends. See example below.

Needle and thread

Choice of glue

Additional notes and measurement tips on this bow located at bottom of page.

Take 1 of your ribbon pieces for the surround loops and fold it in half. Make a crease at the half mark.
Take 1 of your ribbon pieces for the surround loops and fold it in half. Make a crease at the half mark.
Fold the ribbon around and place the center crease at the edge of the ribbon next to the ribbon end. You can now hold the two loop sections and slide the ribbon back and forth to make the loops even.
To check for loop evenness, hold the center of the ribbon as shown and gently pull up on the loops. if they are even they will both be resting on your finger the same.
Using a needle and thread, make a few stitches to hold the first loops in place. The needle and thread should be on top for the next step.
This is what your first and second loops will look like.
Take your ribbon and make the 3rd loop, putting the ribbon under the first pair of loops.
Check for evenness by gently pulling on the ribbon as shown. This picture shows the new 3rd loop being compared to the 2nd loop.
This is what your first three loops will look like. Please note that the center ribbon from left to right are stacked on each other, not side by side.
Take the end of the ribbon, fold it around and place it at the edge of the ribbon toward Loop 1. This completes the 4th loop. Stitch all the layers of ribbon together and tie a knot to secure. Repeat for other surround loop ribbons. **This picture shows the outside of the Surround loops or the bottom.
This is the completed surround a bow loop series. Please note the way the loops are laid out.
Now that all your surround loop ribbons are completed, stack them on top of each other being sure they are all facing the same direction and matching centers. I like to make a few stitches through all the layers to secure them. You may glue them also.
These are the finished surround a loops, ready for mounting. Please note which way the loops lay. This is how they need to be when the boutique bow is placed for mounting. Set them aside.
Now you can make the Ribbon Spray. The main piece of ribbon runs down the center from left to right of the finished bow. Layer the other ribbons on top in an X pattern as shown. If you use more ribbons than what is pictured, arrange them to your preference. All the ribbons need to have the same center.

**NOTE** Ribbon Sprays: Ribbon sprays are the short pieces of ribbon you see poking out from under the main bow and surround a loops. They are also known as Spikes. I like to cut them all at 6” long and use that for 4” and 5” bows. I do need to sometimes trim them when making a 4” bow. This will vary from maker to maker depending on how you would like your bows to look. I encourage you to note the length you use as your preference.

Weave a needle through all layers at the center of the ribbon spray as shown. Cinch or squeeze the ribbon center together to gather it while it is still on the needle, then pull the needle through. Wind the ribbon around the center twice, keeping it tight and secure at knot at the back.
This is the completed spray arrangement, ready for mounting. Set aside.
Now it is time to make your base/support bow. Make a loose boutique fold bow. This ribbon has been cut shorter and is not intended to be full like a boutique bow.
Weave a needle and thread through the center of the ribbon as shown. Do not pull the needle through.
Cinch the center of the bow while still on the needle. Wrap the thread around the center two times keeping it tight and make a secure knot in the back. Now you are ready to assemble your bow!
Arrange all your bow parts for assembly.
Glue (or sew) the ribbon spray onto the base/support bow lining up centers (the thread). Allow glue to set.
It should look as shown.
Glue (or sew) the Boutique bow to the Surround loops being sure to line up the centers. Allow glue to set.
Glue (or sew) the boutique bow and surround loops on top of the ribbon spray/base bow. Lining up centers (the thread). Allow glue to set.
The bow is ready to be mounted to a clip or headband. Finished bow shown with center ribbon applied.

**NOTE** Surround-a-Loops: I like my surround a loops to be full. I tend to cut my ribbon at the same length as I used to make a boutique fold bow or I add an inch. For example – if I am making a 4” boutique fold bow and cut the ribbon for it at 29” long, then I cut my surround a loops ribbon to 29” long or 30” long (which is 29” +1”). Each person has a preference for how they would like their bows to look so I encourage you to note the lengths you use as your preference.

**NOTE** Base/Support bow ribbon: In these instructions, I am making a 5” finished width Surround-A-Loop boutique bow. I used 29” of ribbon to make the Boutique fold bow, and 30” of ribbon to make each surround a loop. For the Base/Support bow shown here, I used 25” of ribbon. It is common for me to use 3-4” less for the Base/Support Bow than I did to make the Boutique Fold Bow. Each person has a preference depending on how they like their bow to look so I encourage you to note the length you use as your preference.
How to line a french barrette

sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM

free loopy hair bow instructions

The Loopy Bows design and photos were provided by  Erica Sullivan Wagner. Credit where credit is due! Many thanks to Erica for helping to enlarge our collection of FREE bow instructions. This type of bow is also known as a Bubble Bow.

Materials

Six  2.5' lengths of assorted ribbon (vary widths, patterns, grosgrain and satins, etc.  Examples use 1-inch to 1/4-inch satins and grosgrains)
Ruler
Scissors 
Thin, flexible floral wire 
70 mm hair clip (2 3/4-inch)
Clothes pins
Fray Check or clear nail polish

Cut approximately six lengths of assorted ribbon into 2.5' sections. Use fray check or clear nail polish to treat the ends. Vary the ribbon widths, patterns, colors and textures. Line up the ribbons in a stack, one a top the other, and flush. Use a clothes pin to hold together one end of the ribbon stack. 
Disassemble the hair clip so that you are able to work with only the top section of the clip. The springs and latch sections will be easy to reassemble once you have finished making your bow.
Use a second clothes pin to anchor the hair clip top to the ribbons while you form your first loop. Once you have your first section of wire in place you will no longer need the clothes pins.  
Use the floral wire to firmly fix the ribbon stack to one end of the hair clip top. Make sure to leave the very ends of the clip free so that reassembling is simple. Wrap the wire around the clip approximately three times, or until the connection is holding firm. Do not cut the wire.

NOTE: Some people prefer not to work with wire. Embroidery or dental floss is a viable alternative. Experiment with other strong threads.

Next, keeping the ribbons stacked neatly one atop the other, form a loop. Use your fingers to hold the loop tight. 
Bring the loose end of the wire around to affix the base of the loop firmly to the hair clip. Again, wrap the wire approximately three times. 
Form a second loop of ribbons, taking care to make sure it is the same size as the first loop. 
Repeat wiring instructions. Continue to form loops one after the other, until the length of the hair clip is filled. As you are looping and wiring, keep the loops pushed back tightly against one another to ensure a more full look. 
After you have finished wiring, cut the wire and tie it off. Tuck the loose end firmly under one of the other wires. you could add a drop of hot glue to seal the end and also ensure the sharp end will not escape. 

Reassemble the hair clip. 

Use your fingers to fluff and separate the ribbon loops.  
sew4fun
by on Apr. 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM

The tutorial for achieving Perky Loops for your Butterfly Bow was designed by Allison Throckmorton. Credit where credit is due! Many thanks to Allison for helping to enlarge our collection of FREE hair bow instructions.

Here is a list of the lengths of ribbons Allison recommends for butterfly bows.
1.5” Ribbon
4” Boutique = 28” of ribbon
4” Pinwheel = 23” of ribbon
3” Pinwheel= 18” of ribbon
7/8” Ribbon
3.5” Boutique = 22.5” of ribbon
3 to 3.5” pinwheel = 19.5” of ribbon
2 to 2.5” pinwheel = 14” of ribbon
5/8” Ribbon
2” half pinwheel (only do one loop on each side) = 7” of ribbon
2.5” Pinwheel = 14” of ribbon

:::

This tutorial is for a 4” boutique bow out of 1.5” ribbon.
Cut 28” and heat seal the ends. Then, fold it in half making a crease.

This picture shows the crease marked with a black pen so you can see it. If you do choose to use a regular ink pen to mark nylon ribbon, please note that swabbing it with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol will fully remove the ink.
Make the top part of a figure 8 and put the tail right over that crease that you made when you folded the ribbon in half. 
Fold the other end up and complete the figure 8.  Your 2 loops should be perfectly even and centered before you go on to the next step.  If you have a skinny figure 8, your loops will be perkier.
Fat figure 8 will give you a flatter, less perky bow
Now bring the one loop to the center and make sure the loops are even.
Bring the other loop to the center making sure all loops are even.
Slide your hand under the bow and carefully pick it up, keeping a firm grip on the center.  From here, you can go on and crease the center with your method of choice, or you can go on to the next step.

Flipping the bow over seems to allow for easier creasing.

Crease if you still haven’t done it yet.  Secure the center however you choose to do it (thread, wire, ribbon, etc.).
Finished 4 inch bow from 1.5” ribbon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN