Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Memory Quilt

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

A baby's clothes acquire history so quickly: There is the blanket she came home from the hospital in, the overalls she wore while learning to crawl, the flannel pajamas she fell asleep in at night. For those items too precious to give away, or too stained to pass along, there is a solution more creative and less cluttering than a box in the attic -- a baby memory quilt that is sure to become an heirloom.

Don't worry about piecing together fancy shapes; the simplest patchwork is an easy-to-assemble checkerboard of four-inch squares. Find an interesting part of your baby's cast-off clothing, and use that as a patch: Include smocking, a bit of embroidery, a section with ribbons. You can also use vintage fabrics, hand towels, sheets, children's pillowcases, textured fabric like dotted Swiss, or a bit of a flannel sleeper. In general, stick to 100-percent cotton fabrics of similar weight. Avoid knits, stretchy material, and thick textiles that will pull and wear differently than other pieces.

Tools and Materials
Rotary fabric cutter (optional)
Self-healing cutting mat (optional)
Clear acrylic quilter's ruler
Scissors
Clothing and fabric for quilt squares
Straight pins
A steam iron
Preshrunk 100-percent cotton batting
Safety pins; 1/2-inch-wide double-fold bias tape
Prewashed cotton fabric for backing (we used a vintage piece of matelasse bedspread, but flannel or another woven fabric will do)
Yarn or embroidery floss

From Martha Stewart Baby
Next Page: Stitching the Squares

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Memory Quilt - Martha Stewart Kids

by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
harry
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

wish i had thought of or known about this when my kids were little , i hung onto what i could but lost so much in moving that there is only 1 or 2 pieces left now . have to pass on idea though .

jridgill
by Jennifer on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Such a great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvablemomD
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:02 PM
This sounds really nice I wish I had them for my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaden_122308
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM

ive been wanting to do this. but we dont know if were done having kids yet so i dont want to make it yet.

sherrie0568
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

awesome idea!

eFreak23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I have the materials to make 4 Memory quilts for my daughter.  Dance, Travel, Eeyore and Michigan State University (still collecting for that one)...  except I don't quilt.  :-(

My cousin asked me if I would make one for her daughter out of her wedding dress.  The baby is 2 months old and she said what else would she use her wedding dress for?  I love love love this idea... but couldn't help her.  I only cross stitch baby quilts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN