Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's in a (domain) name?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM
  • 10 Replies

When you buy the domain name, what happens? Do you build the site with the place you buy the domain name from? how would I do a blog/store/RSS thing with a domain name?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM

BUMP!

bmom7210
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM
Wondering the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytohuddy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

give me a minute and  I will type it all out :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

:) I knew you would save me! :D lol

mommytohuddy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM

When you buy a domain name, you are simply registering it with a domain registry. The main reason I suggest always going to godaddy or another similar site, is that they do not in any way require you to build your website with them.

The first key to buying a domain name is ensuring that ownership remains in YOUR name, do not let anybody else ever put your domain name in their name. The struggle to get it back will be more than you will want to deal with. One specific company that is know for doing this is the yellow pages and from what I learned this week apparently webs.com does this as well in exchange for a free domain name. I now have a client stuck with them for a year because of this. You will also find web developers that do the same thing, I for one do not do this, it is a sketchy, unethical practice.

Once your domain is purchased you have a multitude of options to explore. Most free blogging websites as well as store template websites offer you the option to put your site on your domain. This is generally a free service that is quite easy and just requires entering your domain in the space provided. I use blogger because it is extremely simple (I also hide that annoying top bar for my clients,but that is just a personal preference).

However, other websites will require you to purchase hosting options. Hosting simply means that you are paying for them to store all of your website coding/content on their server.  It can get a bit more confusing for a user without web development skills when it comes to setting up all of your hosting details. Hosting options are quite endless and will go from no support to full support. While anyone can open up a template, type in their name, upload a few products...there are times when you just need more. Something isn't working right, you don't understand something, or just you really want a more personalized site. This is where hosting with support comes into play. The support options will allow you to easily make changes with little or no knowledge. For example my clients receive 30 minutes of my time each month for me to update content and make small changes. This is also time they can utilize for any website issues or training they might need.

This could honestly go a million different directions, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I will answer the best that I can.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

can I use blogger.com and set it up with a store page, donation page, and blog page? How could I code my store in there? My cousin is a web designer but we are on completely different time zones so it's hard to get ahold of her. lol

mommytohuddy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Give me a bit to look at what all you have going on and see what the best way to bring them all together would be.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

can I use blogger.com and set it up with a store page, donation page, and blog page? How could I code my store in there? My cousin is a web designer but we are on completely different time zones so it's hard to get ahold of her. lol

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Thanks, I appreciate that! I sell on Storenvy.com right now, I'm not sure if there is a way to embed it into a free standing website. I know I can use CSS and add links to the blog and about me pages there...

mommytohuddy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM

That is what I am wondering as well. I love my regular free standing site and the freedom I have with it. However, knowing how coding works on cart websites, it is highly unlikely. It would probably be easier to customize the storenvy and include a blog feed. I have been playing around with the storenvy code today, just to see how flexible it is. So far, customizing the look is really easy as it does allow full control over html and css.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Thanks, I appreciate that! I sell on Storenvy.com right now, I'm not sure if there is a way to embed it into a free standing website. I know I can use CSS and add links to the blog and about me pages there...

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM

On Storenvy, they say you can incorporate it all as separate pages by tweaking the CSS and such, and using Liquid. Here's the words from the man (I asked if I could include a blog and about me page on there when I purchase the domain name):

"Yup. HTML/CSS and Liquid for markup. Just code your store the same way you code your site and use these variables for products, etc.
http://www.storenvy.com/help/articles/html-variables"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)