Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time to brighten things up a bit!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok in light of the recent events in my life, I have decided to brighten up my street a bit. We have all stared at the debris piles long enough, it is time for bright fun colors. I think flowers, bright colors, and new landscaping will be uplifting to most in this area.

Our home is very strange looking for our street. It is a spanish style home smack dab in the center of a traditional row of homes. All of the homes in this neighborhood are very old, including ours. It has often been the sore eye of the block according to most of my older neighbors. It was once hot pink and the last tenant was filthy and collected car batteries which he lined up everywhere in the yard.

So I want to change this little house for the good. I love that it has some character to it.

I haven't had a chance to do a lot yet. We spent most of the time we had to work in the yard, sorting debris piles (per city/fema/somebody's regulations), but we did find some time to do something with a little color. We also have the yard almost ready to plant some grass. Beforehand, there were so many trees that grass would not grow. Now there are barely any trees left in this area, so we get plenty of sun.

New chairs and new flowers are the starting point. I am loving these flowers. I really wanted gerber daisies, but these little guys were much more affordable and offer the same punch of color I was wanting. My husband painted all of our pots black to make the color pop even better. We will also be painting the plant rack black and possibly painting my sculpture wrapped around it red.

**our grill still looks gross. That is the mud it was covered in after the tornado tossed if off the porch adn across the yard!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on May. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Those are very bright :) It looks great!

ZsMommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Love the plant stand!!!

Are those zinnias you picked up? I love gerbera also-but zinnia have a "similar" look and are more affordable-plus they attract butterflies :)

mommytohuddy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I love my plant stand. I picked it up a few years ago on a great buy in Hobby Lobby clearance. It was green back then, but painted it brown to match the last house. Now I want it to be black haha.

yes, those are zinnia. Very affordable and I am hoping they attract some butterflies, that would be wonderful.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Love the plant stand!!!

Are those zinnias you picked up? I love gerbera also-but zinnia have a "similar" look and are more affordable-plus they attract butterflies :)

Balancing
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

i was going to ask if they were zinnia...  they will provide you nice color all summer long into early fall.  especially in Alabama.  It will help.  I love flowers... and just sitting out there staring at them sway in the breeze.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Love the plant stand!!!

jryberg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

The plant stand is super cute. Did you get the chairs from Target? I have some blue and yellow ones that look the same and are super comfortable!

mommytohuddy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

thanks. Yes the chairs were a Target sale find from last week, paired with a $25 gift card I had..I only paid like $9 for both chairs :) I really wanted them in red, but they only had one..so I have decided to bring red in with some outdoor pillows.

Quoting jryberg:

The plant stand is super cute. Did you get the chairs from Target? I have some blue and yellow ones that look the same and are super comfortable!

mommytohuddy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM

yay! I don't exactly have a green thumb. However, last time we lived in this city, our plants/flowers were doing so great. Then we moved and they all died :(

Quoting Balancing:

i was going to ask if they were zinnia...  they will provide you nice color all summer long into early fall.  especially in Alabama.  It will help.  I love flowers... and just sitting out there staring at them sway in the breeze.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Love the plant stand!!!

amomynous_j
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM

awesome! love the plant stand!

ZsMommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM

They also attract hummingbirds-I love them-here are ones I planted from seed when we lived in PA-they're one of my faves.

Quoting mommytohuddy:

I love my plant stand. I picked it up a few years ago on a great buy in Hobby Lobby clearance. It was green back then, but painted it brown to match the last house. Now I want it to be black haha.

yes, those are zinnia. Very affordable and I am hoping they attract some butterflies, that would be wonderful.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Love the plant stand!!!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

You did a great job brightening it up! :) Looks wonderful. I'm so happy that things are looking up for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)