• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to make Scented Jelly Jars (2 recipes)

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM
  • 21 Replies

Scented Jelly Jars
Scented jelly jars like those at Bath & Body Works are very popular, but pricey. They scent the room without having to light a wick. You can make your own for just a fraction of the cost.

You will need: 

8 ounces of liquid potpourri

2 envelopes of Knox gelatin

Containers like canning jars, pretty bottles or other containers with a fairly large opening.

Boil the liquid, then add the gelatin. Stir until dissolved. Pour into containers and cool. You can add embellishments such as flowers or shells to the jelly while it is cooling
.NOTE: Adding food color may turn the appearance cloudy-Most liquid potpourris already have coloring,so you may wabt to just stick with that color You may change the color of the jelly with a little food coloring as well. Once cool, decorate the containers with ribbons, lace, or whatever you desire.

Liquid Potpourri can be found at most craft stores (in their home section,such as JoAnn fabrics-it's in with candles and candle lighting),Walmart,Kmart...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people have had problems with mold-Some recipes call for adding vodka to help prevent it...Distilled water is also suggested.

Make your own Gel Air Fresheners:

Jelly jars or small decorative jars.
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
4 pkg. of Knox Gelatin Mix
2 Tbsp. of Vodka, (to prevent mold)
A few drops of food coloring of your choice.
20 drops of your favorite scent.
Netting
Paper Doily
Ribbon

Dissolve 4 pkg of Knox Gelatin in 1 C. Boiling water, stir until all is dissolved, add 1 C. cold water, 2 Tbsp Vodka, 20 drops of scent, and food coloring. Mix well. Pour into jars and let sit at room temperature until set. Decorate with netting, paper doily and tie with ribbon to hold in place. Set them out for a pleasant smell, or give as gifts. They last for about 6 weeks.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muda1954
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

great idea,,thanks for sharing,,I will have to try this!!

Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Those will make some very nice gifts Thanks for sharing!

jridgill
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

You are the ish!!! drinking beer Cheers!

anity
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM
i have made these but used scented oil and food color instead of the liquid potpourri but they start getting moldy after like a week. what would keep that from happening?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Quoting anity:

i have made these but used scented oil and food color instead of the liquid potpourri but they start getting moldy after like a week. what would keep that from happening?

I've been wanting to make these myself-I wonder if using distilled water would be better.

anity
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:37 AM
i actually did use water. the recipe i have is to boil water and mix the gelatin and scent and color in it, and salt too.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting anity:

I've been wanting to make these myself-I wonder if using distilled water would be better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM
Aww cool :) thanks for sharing :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM

tap water or distilled water?

Quoting anity:

i actually did use water. the recipe i have is to boil water and mix the gelatin and scent and color in it, and salt too.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting anity:

anity
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM
it was tap water. does that make a difference?

Quoting ZsMommy:

tap water or distilled water?

Quoting anity:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting anity:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)