Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wrecycled Wreaths

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM
  • 10 Replies
I've been coming up with ideas for this. Thinking about making a flip flop wreath. And a soda can wreath. I'm looking for interesting ideas of something I could recycle and turn into a wreath.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You can use old plastic bottles. Cut them in half, and then as if the opening you drink from is the center of a flower, cut some petals and paint them. Hang on, I'll look for pictures.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 22, 2011 at 11:37 AM

http://marylouweidman.blogspot.com/2010/02/plastic-flowers-make-spring-seem-closer.html

Balancing
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

you could make the soda can flowers and make a wreath... that would be cool!  Flip flops woud be neat... do you think you would spray paint them? 

Balancing
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM

between this and the soda can flowers... I think it is time to start the "crack" (aka diet coke) back up.  Either that or pay my neighbors .12 cents per pop can so that I can have them instead of the recycling center at .10 cents here in Michigan...  These plastic flowers look like a lot of fun.  I am thinking in my girls room hanging from the ceiling in a "think" corner hanging over their bean bag chairs or something.  Cute idea!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

http://marylouweidman.blogspot.com/2010/02/plastic-flowers-make-spring-seem-closer.html

jridgill
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Neat Idea. Someone posted one with mcdonalds happy meal toys once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Wouldn't have to be Christmas themed-not sure if you're a wine drinker-but...

Add pop to a dining room with wine corks wired to tiny red jingle bells. Take about 22 corks of the same size and 22 small (3/8 of an inch) red bells bought from a crafts store. Drill a small hole (just big enough to fit your wire through) 1/4 of an inch from the top of each cork and another 1/4 of an inch from the bottom. It is very important to make sure all the drilled holes at the top line up with the holes at the bottom. Using long, green floral wire, push the wire though all the bottom holes of the corks. Leave enough wire at both ends when finished for tying closed later. Cut another long piece of floral wire to string the tops of the corks together, alternating with the bells. Tie ends of wire at the top and bottom, twisting to close and make a wreath shape. Hang with length of ribbon.

ZsMommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Quoting jridgill:

That was me-lol...I'll go find the link...

ZsMommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting jridgill:

That was me-lol...I'll go find the link...

Not sure how I feel bout this one~Happy Meal Wreath

ZsMommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM

If you live close to the ocean-mussel shell wreath...(sorry-only have pic-no "how to)

photo
ZsMommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Here's one young kiddos can help with...

Scraps from wall paper books or extra scrapbook paper would be neat alternative choices-you could make this on a larger scale or decoration size

-----------------------------------

This pretty Christmas wreath is made from torn magazine paper and buttons, and is a perfect Christmas craft for all age of children, from youngest up.

You will need:

Our template (below). We used the largest wreath shape
Magazine pages in appropriate colours
Buttons or beads to decorate if desired
Hole punch
White glue
Ribbon or cord to hang

Christmas wreath template
Christmas wreath template

Instructions:

Print our template directly onto card and cut out, removing the centre carefully. We used green printer card for our button wreath but any colour will work as you won't see much of the card when the wreath is finished. Alternatively, print onto paper and use as a template to cut out some heavier card as a base.

Punch a hole in the template where marked.

Choose some appropriately coloured pages from your magazine and tear into little pieces. Jagged edges and irregular shapes look pretty!

Wreath collage in progress
Wreath collage in progress

Now cover the base with a good layer of white glue and start sticking! Try to cover as much as the base as you can. You may need to put a little more glue on once the bottom layer is finished, so that you can stick extra pieces of paper on the top. We tried to make sure that the paper didn't lie completely flat, to give a more textured effect.

Wreath collage detail
Wreath collage detail. We chose pretty muted colours and left the edges of the torn paper sticking up for texture.

We decided to add a few buttons to our wreath. You could leave it as it is, or add beads, sequins, stickers etc.

Wreath collage drying
Wreath collage drying

Leave it to dry overnight, then add a ribbon and hang.

So pretty!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)