Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who make the beautiful jewelery I see...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM
  • 29 Replies

How do I start...

I have always had an interest but I tend to get nervous and just tell myself that ..."Oh i could never do that..."

Well now I am saying...poop..that..I want to make me some pretty bracelets and necklaces...I would also LOVE to make something pretty for my sister who is getting married in October. Something little not something as wonderful as you ladies make but something for her "new & blue" I was thinking maybe something with a pretty blue pendent to hang from her bouquet...

I am always full of ideas but never know how to actually make them. So i figured now that I have ladies with knowledge that dont mind helping someone who wants to learn... I would ask. How do I start making pretty jewelery? 

I would also like to make fun funky anklets for DD who always trieds to steal the one I own.

I appreciate any help you can offer!! Thanks so much!!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM

when I want to learn something new, I turn to youtube.  That place is a full of great tutorials, etc.

I don't make jewelry so I have no tips, but good luck.  Don't be scared, jumpp in and give it a try - you might surprise yourself:)

jaden_122308
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM

someone asked how to start the other day. and the lovely ladies on here said there were kits out there that u can get to start with. im wanting to go and look for some of these kits. but havent yet so good luck and post pics as u go.

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I would suggest kits :) Otherwise look through tutorials for the exact type of jewelry you want to make :)

RADmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Thanks guys...I guess I will have to take a walk through the craft store up here and see what they have to offer and see what grabs my eye... do you think they have kits at Walmart... I dont want to spend a ton of money to start out and then end up not sticking with it or not liking it...

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM

They do have kits at walmart :) They even have the mini tools that you'd need and those are not too expensive, prolly cheaper to buy all those than just each individually...

DarkFaery131
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

that's exactly the reason I go for kits when trying something new :)

Quoting RADmomma:

Thanks guys...I guess I will have to take a walk through the craft store up here and see what they have to offer and see what grabs my eye... do you think they have kits at Walmart... I dont want to spend a ton of money to start out and then end up not sticking with it or not liking it...

RADmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Quoting melliburger:

They do have kits at walmart :) They even have the mini tools that you'd need and those are not too expensive, prolly cheaper to buy all those than just each individually...

Thanks! Ill take a look there tomorrow and see what I can find...Im kinda excited to try out a new hobby!!!

shell3m
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM

My first chunk of things that I got was this.......

pliers, a bead crimper, ( I can't remember the name but) it's like pliers but with rounded ends ( I have two, one skinner pair and one with fatter ends), metal spacers, a mix bag of beads (you can have a great combination small and large beads in those bags), crimp beads, crimp bead covers, threading wire,  clasps,  small bead storage containers, seed beads........

RADmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Quoting shell3m:

pliers, a bead crimper, ( I can't remember the name but) it's like pliers but with rounded ends ( I have two, one skinner pair and one with fatter ends), metal spacers, a mix bag of beads (you can have a great combination small and large beads in those bags), crimp beads, crimp bead covers, threading wire,  clasps,  small bead storage containers, seed beads........

Im making a list!! Thanks so much!!!

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM

round nose pliers?

oh oh oh if you're going by this list, get some flat head pliers too! and wire cutters!

Quoting shell3m:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)