Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Tutorial: Microwave Mitt Pattern

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM
  • 0 Replies

Thought this tutorial was a cute idea :)

------

http://shirleymac2.blogspot.com/2009/10/microwave-mitt-pattern.html

Microwave Mitt Pattern

REVISED PATTERN

After playing around with my microwave fingertip mitts pattern I've decided to revise it. For one thing the measurements I was using made the mitts too large for my liking. So here are what I consider better instructions

On a piece of butcher's paper or on a blank piece of paper draw a rectangle 7 ½” x 4 ½”. Then cut out on the lines of the rectangle. 

Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and then again widthwise and cut an arc. Because the paper is folded you will end up with all corners the same. 

Fold your fabric right sides together and iron the butcher's paper template, wax side down, to your fabric. Cut loosely around your template and then pin so that your bottom fabric won’t slip while you use scissors to cut your fabric pieces. I like to do two at a time cause it’s faster. If you are using regular paper pin and cut.

Cut one more shape from cotton batting, and another from Insulbrite. Note, do not iron the wax template to the batting because you won’t get it off again. It’s better to pin and cut.  The reason I also use the Insulbrite batting is to give extra protection from heat. Make sure the shiny side is facing towards the part of the mitt  that will be touching anything hot.
Now on your waxed paper, or other template, draw a line 3” from either end These end pieces will now become your template for the finger pieces of your mitt.
Using the same method as above cut 4 mitt pieces. Cut 2 pieces of batting the same shape, one for each mitt end. Insulbrite is not needed in the fingertip ends because it won't be in contact with anything hot.
Layer a mitt pieces wrong side up, a batting piece and a top piece right side up.
We are going to add the binding now. You can use any binding you wish. Since it won't be going around a curve you don't need to use bias binding, just a cut a strip of fabric 1 1/2" to 2"wide, iron each edge to the center and then fold in half and press again.

Open the binding out and pin to your mitt end. Pin and sew along the raw edge.

Fold and pin the binding around the straight end of your mitt and edge stitch down.

Optional: If you wish you can add a magnet to your mitt so that it can be hung on the side of your microwave (if it's metal) or a nearby appliance such as the refrigerator. 

Sew a small square of fabric on the back of one of the large mitt pieces about 1/3 of the way down. Slip in a magnet and sew up the final seam.
Now layer in the following order

Cotton batting, insulbrite, mitt piece (with the magnet) right side up, mitt ends, mitt piece wrong side up. 

Pin and stitch all the way around leaving one end open to allow for turning right side out. 

Turn the mitt right side out. 

Sew along the end that you left open.

Now turn the fingertips right side out so the seam doesn’t show on the outside and there you are… a microwave mitt.

I made two. They are great for getting hot things out of the microwave but also good for carrying hot dishes to the table. They are so much less bulky than full sized oven mitts.

I don't know if I wrote this so you could understand or not. Hope I did.
by on Aug. 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN