Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got offered a full time job doing what I love, at a great pay!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM
  • 31 Replies

But I just can't bring myself to do it.

It's a full time job SEWING and altering clothes. Full benefits. Paid overtime as much as wanted/needed. Pay is $19 PLUS commission. (I currently make $23 with full benefits working at Yahoo! Inc...)

Sounds amazing right?

...downfall. It's for a place called Strip Tease. They specialize in custom lingerie, and in order to pay the bills, stripper clothes. Now I have nothing against strippers but I don't know if I can make g-strings and bras 8 hours a day and feel good about what I do...

Any advice is super appreciated.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lisafamily
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Aaahhh - That is a tough one!

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

If you wouldn't feel right doing it before you even get the job then I am pretty certain you will be miserable if you do take the job.  That's how I would feel at least.

But only you can make the decision and I know you will make the best decision for you.  Good luck!!!!

Starleet
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM

If it was me, I would do it. But it is completely up to you on what you feel is the best for you! If you feel you will be happy doing it then go for it!

sewmama1990
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Stay where you are at!!!

savedbygrace316
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Sounds like you already have something good going.  I wouldn't hesitate if you would be making a great deal more money but it doesn't sound like it will be a huge difference.  Good luck with your decision!

mommytohuddy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM

First thoughts, stay where you are at. You still have plenty of time with your current job to sew what you want, when you want. And while many wouldn't look at that questionably, think about the impact it might have on future jobs when entered into your resume. Some might have a difficult name looking at your duties instead of the business name.

Holldoll3010
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM

That is kind of a tough one! It would be totally up to you! If you do decide to take it. My aunts friend makes "outfits" for many of the girls that work around here at the local strip clubs and gets 200 to 300 per outfit!  Its insane! I have a few friends who used to be dancers and they prefer custom made, one of a kind outfits and are willing to spend a crazy amount of money to be different than the other girls. Just a thought! But like I said it 's totally your choice. I figured I would throw that out there.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I used to work in adult retail actually. I thought I would hate it and it turns out I ended up loving that job and I made some fantastic friends, and it was honestly the BEST job I ever had.

I think that you could handle it. It's not all bras and G-strings, there's some pretty fancy elaborate lingerie outfits and lots of derby skirts! :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

This is true - I knew a girl who made custom skirt and top sets and went club to club selling and made $1000-$5000 a NIGHT. She only sold on Friday and Saturday, sewed during the week after her kids were in bed, and lived off that income.

Quoting Holldoll3010:

That is kind of a tough one! It would be totally up to you! If you do decide to take it. My aunts friend makes "outfits" for many of the girls that work around here at the local strip clubs and gets 200 to 300 per outfit!  Its insane! I have a few friends who used to be dancers and they prefer custom made, one of a kind outfits and are willing to spend a crazy amount of money to be different than the other girls. Just a thought! But like I said it 's totally your choice. I figured I would throw that out there.

mommareynolds09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Personally, I would follow my gut instinct with something like this. Not because of the type of company it is - but rather because you already have a good job now. I assume you're happy where you're at? You have no idea how sewing 40+ hours a week will change your view on sewing! It may become something you depise.  This is part of the reason I have yet to sell the things I make. I would love to, but I fear what it'll do to my love of crafting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)