Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should i do?-OT

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

 So we've had no luck finding an apartment, almost every single one have said there is a waiting list till next year. This town we want to live in is 30 minutes away. We both think our son might NEED pre K. He still has his speech delay as well. We are trying to teach him at home and he's not comprehending. We are being patient with our lil guy but we feel he might need to be around other children so he can be able to see how they are learning and maybe he'll catch on to talking more as well. He was supposed to start kinder this year but since his bday is in nov. he'll have to miss a year. They already told me at his speech therapy (which is 30 minutes every Friday) that he'll have to be in special ed when he starts kinder. Welll...the pre k is 30 mins away, we only have one vehicle, and I'd have to wake up super early, get our lunches ready, ( i cook for hub, breakfast and his lunch for work), then i'll have to drive him 10 minutes to his work then drive another 30 minutes to take our son to his pre k, then drive back home then go back to pick him up. Living out of town is hard but we dont have a choice. Is it worth it? do you think it could help? any suggestions? lol sorry for it being long...i just need to figure something out.

Greatest Challenge Graphic

I'm a craft making, movie watching, makeup loving, camera happy, devoted wifey, sahm to two amazing little boys!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Melli on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM

So you want to move closer right?

Is there any way you can look into houses or condos or townhouses for rent? Or look for a relatively nice house to consider buying?

Both of my brother's had speech delays and started school late, but now they're perfectly fine. They did start to get better at speech and stuff and being in school so you're on the right track with him IMHO.

I do think you guys should move closer into town if possible, preferabbly close to the school so you guys could walk to school or closet o hubby's work so he can walk tow ork (or ride a bike, catch a ride, etc etc)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM

interaction with other kids made  a huge difference in my youngest when she was learning to talk.  she was almost 2 before she even really tried.  being around other kids, she's now a little chatter box.  are there no pre-k's closer to you?

the public schools here offer what's called VPK. it's free and is done on the same schedule as kindergarten, only they get out earlier.  a lot of the daycares do it too.  it's free during the vpk hours then you pay for after care if you need it.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM
that's tough. I dont know we live in town and have 2 cars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

IMO, extra help never hurts.  My oldest (3 1/2 years) has a language delay as well.  We found that out at preschool this past year.  I'm a big proponent of pre-K.  For one, my girls act up the most for me, but listen to others.  Plus, teachers are paid to spot signs of language delays & teach according to each child's needs.  My oldest has learned so much from being around older kids & she can already write her name.  Is your son a visual learner?  My DD doesn't follow when you verbally tell her something, but she learns very quickly when she sees something.

Not sure what state you live in, but in MN, we have something called open enrollment where you can enroll your child in another school district as long as there is room.  Is that an option for you? Maybe there are better pre-K times?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Take this for what its worth.  You child may very well have delays but couple those with the fact that he just might not be ready!  And don't look at it like "he is supposed to start Kindy this year".  No, he isn't if he misses the age cut off.  He just might not be mature enough for a school type setting.  If it were me, I would continue whatever therapies you are doing and hold off on school.  I would rather him repeat kindergarten than push him academically when he isn't ready.  My daughter will be 5 in October and if I COULD send her to school right now, I wouldn't.  When we try to sit down and do school work with her, its obvious she just isn't mature enough.  My opinion is that you should just hold off and continue your current course until its actually time to start school.  In the mean time, allow your son to be around other kids as much as possible in a non academic environment. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Look at Maybe it will help...There's a place for free members and paid members..  

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM

See if there's a homeschool group in your area or a MOPS in your area....

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Thanks for the advice girls! See we tried to get a loan for a house and were denied cus hubs credit had identity theft so his credit is shot, he's our provider so it went by his. There arent any condos in that city, and the town houses charge a HIGH amount of rent, we wont be able to afford utilities after that, me getting a job would put us in a big hole to pay for a sitter for my 2 yr old. Where hubs job is located in a different city, he commutes back and forth, he's going to start college in fall to continue his job and make more money. We are on waiting lists tho for apartments so we'll have to wait it out. BUT i called the Pre K in that town and she offered 3 times a week for $60 and he stays all day. He'll be with the other 4 yr olds and it starts Sept 6th. She said we can pay either on Mondays or at the end of the week on Friday. The local school which is 5 mins away (the school he'll be going to when he starts kinder) does not have a pre k. Its a small school, great school tho! So ima go ahead and put him in the Pre K 3 times a week for now until he starts kinder. i talked to my mil and she said he can even stay once a week and she'll take him so the driving wont be as bad for us since she lives in the same city the pre k is. its 30 mins away so if theres ever an emergency we're still able to get there.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM

we think our daughter has a speach delay and were in the prosses of getting her into at home speach therepy. if u really want him in the pre-k then mayb u should try and move closer or just hold off and keep doing wht ur doing. our daughter wont be 3 till december and the ladys at the early ed center (who have a pre k and where were going to her speach evaluation) said that since she doesnt turn 3 till december they would work with her at home and then talk about maybe starting her in prek in January. so good luck hope u can find a place closer

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

 thanks we asked about having a home speech and they dont because he's 4. He couldnt even get into head start. We were taking him to the local speech therapy in his school (free) and she said he was frustrating. I reported her and she denied it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)