Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared to sew :(

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok I bought this awesome new fabric yesteday. Truth be told, Huddy picked it out himself. it has numbers on it, so he cried for it in the store. haha

I want to make him a pillow out of it. BUT I am scared to sew it. It is a super soft fleece, got it right next to the minky at Joanns. Last time I tried material like this, it ended horribly. It looks like my machine ate the fabric for lunch.

So I need tips. What stitch should I use? Should I go super slow? Would it help to pin like crazy...well even crazier than I did last time.

I really like the fabric and I don't want to waste it.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmom7210
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM
I know exactly what u are talking about. I use a ton of pins. Just go for it. It doesn't have to be perfect. Huddy wont mind btw I saw him in his new bed. Looks awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytohuddy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Very true that it doesn't need to be perfect. Haha last time turned out so horrible, that I tossed it on the fabric shelf and I am still refusing to look at it :)

He loves his new bed. He slept in in all night and for his nap today.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Pin it, and make the foot press a little harder so that there isn't enough loose fabric for the needle to push the material into the feeder area. Also hold the fabric in front of the needle and behind the needle to keep it moving without snagging. 

TaeTaeLove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Make it into a pillow case and use an old sheet for the pillow. Kids are messy. :) besides its easier to wash a case than a whole pillow. They get lumpy that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytohuddy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Thanks Cody, I only held in front last time and my lead foot didn't help matters. I go wayyy too fast.

TaeTae...I was considering this as an option as well.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM

TaeTae makes a very good point!

jridgill
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM
I agree with grab it good front and back and pin like crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-JC-
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM
I find that using larger seam allowances helps as well. And don't start right on the edge. Started down about 1/4" and then back stitch up to the edge and go back down.
I frequently get the corner stuck in the feed dog if I don't do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM
My grandma used to use tissue paper under the fabric to keep her sewing machine from sucking in fabric. Just rip it away when you are done. I had two other people suggest the same thing to me when I had issues with satin and it worked great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Its actually a LOT cheaper just to buy a generic solid pillow at WalMart ($4) and make tons of covers. We did this for our sofa. I just set the mood by changing the pillow cases. Works like magic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)