Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so if i'm not as craftastic as you ladies seem to be...

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 26 Replies

will you still love me??

i figured i ought to make an intro post of sorts. i'm really not all that crafty, but i looooooove to work with my hands. i do! i'm just not as good at it, or as motivated at it. it's an on again, off again kind of hobby for me.

i'm lousy at sewing, but i know how to do it. same with crochet.

i looove handmade things. they're worth a million times more than something storebought, in my eyes. i received a few handmade blankets for my dd's birth, and i nearly peed myself. they were just simple things, but i will always treasure them.

i do like art, though. i love to draw and paint. we've been remodeling our house, and one of the rooms we're setting up we're going to put my easel in it, and go to town.

i've recently picked up oragami again, the folding paper thing. i've always liked it, although i don't have many memorized, so i don't do it often. but like i said, i like working with my hands, and anything to keep me from cleaning the house, right??

dd just turned one, and we have a son due in november. that's pretty much all i've got. feel free to ask questions, though, in case i left something out ;)

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Welcome to the group!  I like to draw and paint too along w/ a billion other things lol   Feel free to post some pics :)  The women in this group are wonderful and it's very inspiring!

by Melli on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Welcome to the group! Art (drawing and painting) is SUPER crafty :) lol

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

you don't have to perfect do enjoy what you do.  :)  I would love to see pictures of what you have done.  :)

by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM

this is acrylic paint (never done oil), and the frame is i think six inches by eight, so very small. it's the first frame i ever built completely myself - cut the wood and everything. so it's sentimental.

this is graphite (pencil). four horsement of the apocalypse. i was going to do individual shots of them on their horses, but i got lazy lol

this is color pencil and pencil together. the girl is from that famous national geographic picture, and the pictures of the kids are from magazines, too. the hand and the horse were from my imagination, and i had to rush to finish the project, which is why they both look terrible ;)

close up of her face

close up of the baby in the top left. the hands were part of the picture, obviously, but i purposely left them white.

i won an award for this, even though it's not a very good picture lol. it's also from nat. geo. there was an article about geese migration or something, before 9/11 happened. so after the fact, i changed the geese to doves, and there ya go!

my first painting, an abstract. it's an actual picture, though, at least part of one. ten points if you can figure out what it is!

by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Nice to meet you! Post some pictures of your art, I love to see art and it's definitely a craft!

by Melli on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM

HOLY CRAP LADY! Those are awesome! and you say you're not crafty?!?! bahhhh

Those are so amazing! Do you sell?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM

wow you have an amazing talent. I love your art work!

by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM

lol nah, i've never sold anything i've done. i've done a few projects for people, though, and given them away.

recently, my grandfather turned 90 (holy crap!) so for his birfday, my mom had me to a family tree. not a boring one with lines and all, but an actual tree, and each kid was to have a branch, and each grandchild, etc.

grandpa has EIGHT kids, NINETEEN grandkids, and TWENTY-SEVEN greatgrandkids!! so i used a big piece of paper lol. i did it in color pencil, and it actually turned out pretty nice.

i think once everything's set up, i'll do specific pieces if someone wants to buy it. dh has requested a few different pictures. but those pictures were all done in high school, and i haven't done much since, so not many people know i even do it anymore. but like i said, i'd like to ramp it up a bit!

why, you wanna pretty picture?!

by Melli on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I WOULD LOVE A PRETTY PICTURE! I would make you pretty jewelry in return ;) LOL

We're moving soon and I'll be looking for decorations and such and would LOVE to buy handmade things or upcycled items to use :)

by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM

yo got it, toots! anything in particular? landscape, portrait, still life?

would you want pencil, color pencil, paint? i'm lousy with water color, but i can do pen and ink, and even charcoal. ooh, i have color pastels i've never used. lol not sure how i'd do with that, they're like colored chalk.

i can do a specific picture/idea, or just give me some ideas, and i'll come up with something.

and thank you, to everyone that said they liked my work. this is only my good stuff - my horrible pictures have been burned lol (not really, i think they're in a box somewhere, never to be brought to public eye.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)