Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You can't buy homemade at clearance prices

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM
  • 23 Replies
Usually anyways

I had someone ask me to make them an outfit. I said ok and told them the amount. They said it was too much. I thought. Hmmm ok well what do you think would be a fair amount. Well se doesn't want to spend more than XX. Really? Well it would cost me more than that to make it.

People have no idea how much fabric costs and how much time goes into things.

Just a small vent :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
geekesque
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I run into that too, people think if it's handmade it should be cheaper...I just finished a crocheted baby dress set as a gift for my aunt...A friend of my aunt wanted me to make one for her grandchild and she really was offended at the price I charge for these. They take loads of time and the cost of material--the good stuff isn't cheap either. At 75-125 bucks depending on accessories, it's a good deal, not nearly what I should charge..Her response...Oh that's way too much for a dress that's nothing more than a big doily...Eh, whatever lady, whatever...

Dress Set...

melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM

That's insane! I can understand trying to "barter" with someone but to get things on clearance prices that's handmade, t hat's just not going to happen.

CMcLaws
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM
You are 100% correct! It always irks me when someone says I charge too much. Well, then you make it and see how much supplies cost you! Not to mention time and effort, grrrr.......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Oh my Lord, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Quoting geekesque:

I
run into that too, people think if it's handmade it should be cheaper...I just finished a crocheted baby dress set as a
gift for my aunt...A friend of my aunt wanted me to make one for her grandchild and she really was offended at the price I charge for these. They take loads of time and the cost of material--the
good stuff isn't cheap either. At 75-125 bucks depending on accessories, it's a good deal, not
nearly what I should charge..Her response...Oh that's way
too much for a dress that's nothing more than a big doily...Eh, whatever
lady, whatever...

Dress Set...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzmommie
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Some people just dont really understand. Fabric isn't  cheap for sure, and if your sewing an outfit hell on its not gonna be cheap.

I think it also depends on what some ones making though, i've seen things that take no time to make  and isn't good quality and charge an arm and a leg for their items.  but outfit yes should be pricey for time and fabric.

Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM

OK.  I think that is a lot for "a dress" but not THAT dress.  That is amazing and certainly an heirloom piece.  I personally couldn't afford it but if I could, I would pay for it. 

No, people have no concept of the time, money and skill that goes into many home made items.

Dabberdoo
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:56 PM

And that was unbelievably insulting for her to call that a big doily.  I want to see that lady make JUST a doily and see what she thinks then.  WOW.

CMcLaws
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Right????? I've made several and they are one of the HARDEST things I've ever made.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

And that was unbelievably insulting for her to call that a big doily.  I want to see that lady make JUST a doily and see what she thinks then.  WOW.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM
That's beautiful

Quoting geekesque:

I
run into that too, people think if it's handmade it should be cheaper...I just finished a crocheted baby dress set as a
gift for my aunt...A friend of my aunt wanted me to make one for her grandchild and she really was offended at the price I charge for these. They take loads of time and the cost of material--the
good stuff isn't cheap either. At 75-125 bucks depending on accessories, it's a good deal, not
lady, whatever...

Dress Set...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvrybodysFriend
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM
I would have said, "Great! Guess you'll have no problem making your own since you're an expert"

Quoting geekesque:

I
lady, whatever...

Dress Set...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)