Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

Make a door decoration sort of like this

Without spending $95 on this decal?

I think I would make it a bit more simple in the branches and I might want to do a more witchy theme rather than just the crows.  What materials can I use and how would you attach it to the door?  We have a metal door.  I have a large cardboard box and black spraypaint.  Or should I look for some black fabric at a thrift store?  Other ideas?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jenny31978
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Vinyls are usually cut from a Cricut or something similar.  There's special vinyl paper & I believe there's a sticky mat?   You could get contact paper, make a design, cut it out & attach.

Kilhara
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Where would i get black contact paper, and how much would that cost, do you think?

LuckyTat
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I personally would just use the cardboard, maybe buy some magnetic strips to hang the cardboard cut out on your door? Fabric is a good idea too, only thing is it won't be as sturdy as the cardboard and depending on how sunny it is, it could fade (but so would the cardboard I guess...) if you use fabric it can fold up and be stored for later use a lot easier than the cardboard. 

billssweety
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I would buy a couple yards of black felt, borrow a projector of some sort and trace it out with a white pencil, cut and then attach magnets to the back with hot glue or sticky back magnets.  I would make sure you had some nice new scissors, that is going to be a lot of cutting!!  If you can get a projector you could just draw it out, I couldn't because I can draw, but you can darw go for it!!!

jridgill
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM
My first thought was felt!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahsMommy7974
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM

I dont know how big it is, but a lady was looking for those sticker words that you put on walls and I showed her, on the endcap next to it there were butterfliles etc. There was a tree similar to that, maybe it would be big enough and you could add the birds etc to it. At Hobby Lobby in the home accent area... we have the 40% off coupon (which I heard should be every week til Christmas)

NoahsMommy7974
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM

This is it

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=166251

bake1967
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Martha syewart has lots of this kind of thing at joanns and micheals

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Felt would be a good option, and just hot glue some magnets all over it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)