Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

jewelry makers I have a question.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am using the Soft flex beading wire and love it but when I looked at it yesterday at Hobby lobby it over doubled in price! So I was wondering what wire you like best. I have seen fire line thread on fire mountain  but don't know anything about it. I am looking for something reasonably priced but will hold up for necklaces and bracelets for kids and teens. Thanks for your help!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I use the cousin brand from walmart. By far my favorite. Also I just whatever wire looks and feels right.  I do not like soft flex LOL it fell apart on me in one of my multi strand necklaces I had to remake an hour before I had to ship it out :/

For smaller kids, I don't use wire, I use the stretch elastic stuff. 

nebcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I am going to use the stretch stuff for little kids stuff. I have had one necklace that fell apart on me with the soft flex so now that I know it wasn't something I did I am glad I didn't buy more! lol I will check walmart tomorrow. Thank you. Also what is your take on the crimping pliers? I was told the break the crimping beads but am wanting to put crimp bead covers on the ends for a cleaner look. I have trouble getting the covers on with a flat crimp bead and thought of trying them.

Quoting melliburger:

I use the cousin brand from walmart. By far my favorite. Also I just whatever wire looks and feels right.  I do not like soft flex LOL it fell apart on me in one of my multi strand necklaces I had to remake an hour before I had to ship it out :/

melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM

No problem :) Yup when that stuff broke on me I thought it was just me!!!

I love my crimping pliers! The crimp bead covers are awesome too. again walmart has crimping pliers there so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on a good set... or you could go to a craft store when theyhave their 40% off any item kwim?

Quoting nebcutie:

I am going to use the stretch stuff for little kids stuff. I have had one necklace that fell apart on me with the soft flex so now that I know it wasn't something I did I am glad I didn't buy more! lol I will check walmart tomorrow. Thank you. Also what is your take on the crimping pliers? I was told the break the crimping beads but am wanting to put crimp bead covers on the ends for a cleaner look. I have trouble getting the covers on with a flat crimp bead and thought of trying them.

Quoting melliburger:

nebcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Thats why I was asking cause hobby lobbies is this week. lol I am going to take the wire I haven't opened back and go to walmart and get the other stuff and some elastic tell my fire mountain order gets here. lol Thanks for all your help!

Quoting melliburger:

No problem :) Yup when that stuff broke on me I thought it was just me!!!

I love my crimping pliers! The crimp bead covers are awesome too. again walmart has crimping pliers there so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on a good set... or you could go to a craft store when theyhave their 40% off any item kwim?

Quoting nebcutie:

Quoting melliburger:

ZsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I use Darice's tiger tail wire-It's affordable (especially whn JoAnn's runs it on sale) and I haven't had problems with it.

http://edge.shop.com/ccimg.shop.com/240000/242900/242924/products/520517902__248x248__.jpg

nebcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Thank you! I will have to make a call and see how there sale run and make a trip! 

Quoting ZsMommy:

I use Darice's tiger tail wire-It's affordable (especially whn JoAnn's runs it on sale) and I haven't had problems with it.

http://edge.shop.com/ccimg.shop.com/240000/242900/242924/products/520517902__248x248__.jpg

ZsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Even not on sale it's like $1.99/spool...or was it $2.99.. Maybe $2.99...I always stock up when it's on sale (especially when they would run the 40% sales)

Quoting nebcutie:

Thank you! I will have to make a call and see how there sale run and make a trip! 

Quoting ZsMommy:

nebcutie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM

crap that is a way better deal then I was getting! lol I will have to watch there ad on line and make a run to Jo anns. Thank you!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Even not on sale it's like $1.99/spool...or was it $2.99.. Maybe $2.99...I always stock up when it's on sale (especially when they would run the 40% sales)

Quoting nebcutie:

Quoting ZsMommy:

ZsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Currently on sale-look...

Darice Jewelry Designer .36mm Jewelry Wire - 30ft/Coated Sterling Silver

Darice Jewelry Designer .36mm Jewelry Wire - 30ft/Coated Sterling Silver

# 2737799

reg. 2.49

sale 1.49

Quoting nebcutie:

crap that is a way better deal then I was getting! lol I will have to watch there ad on line and make a run to Jo anns. Thank you!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting nebcutie:

Quoting ZsMommy:

NoahsMommy7974
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:00 AM

I use Beadalon, generally .018 in, .46mm 7 strand... usually has 30ft on a roll runs about 3-4$ at Hobby Lobby. Looking at one of the rolls its .015in, .38mm 7strand 30ft, 2.99... I dont use that size as much sometimes harder to feed back through for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)