Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Monster High and DIY dollhouse project.

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and wanted to share with you a project my daughter and I are working on. It's almost complete and I am figuring out how to post a photo album for it. I am a jewellery artist by trade and my hobby is dollhouse minitatures for 1:12 scale houses.

My daughter, LM, turned 8 in Oct and LOVES Monster High. She has a Kidcraft wood dollhouse I bought for her 4 years ago (which I dismantled and shipped 2000 miles when we moved). During a chat a month ago about her dolls, she asked we could redecorate her dollhouse with a Monster High theme, and so began the project.

This brought back so many wonderful memories of my eighth Xmas when I received a 3 story dollhouse made by my grandfather and decorated by my mother and grandmother. What I remember most is that for many years after, my mother would reminisce fondly about how much fun she and her mother had decorating the dollhouse together. I was excited about this project with LM and wanted us to work on it together.

I took apart the house and sprayed all the pieces black as a canvas to work with. Then I painted stonework on the outside with acrylic paint and sealed it with Krylon clear coat. Luckily we picked a great time of year and I scored a ton of great stuff in the Michael's Halloween cleance bins, like stickers, scrapbooking embellishments, and trim.  Joann's, Michael's and A.C. Moore had great selections of duct tape and felt sheets for flooring and wall covers. I repainted her furniture and found odds and ends to use for decorations. It's finally back together and almost complete (just installing the skull chandelier).

Her friends' moms loved the idea and are redecorating their girls' houses as well. Being 8 now, I know this will give my daughter several more years of enjoyment out of her dollhouse, which is no longer pastel pink and green, but a rockin' Monster mansion! As soon as I figure out how to create an album to share I will get pics up.

I would love to share the ideas we used with anyone wanting to do something like this. We had a blast together working on it, and all of friends think it's the coolest house EVER.

by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kids1derful
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:57 AM

that is so cool! I can't wait to see pictures! my daughter loves monster high too. I might have to hit the thrift store and find a doll house. thanks!

mommy2bagain560
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:00 AM
cant wait to see pictures!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombimomma
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Thanks! I'm creating the album now. I have seen some amazing houses done with Barbie house bought at yard sales and thrift stores. Check ebay for ideas as well, as there are many people 'monsterfying' stuff.

One of the best ideas I've seen to date is from an ebayer mom who created the high school! She designed 30 paper sheets what fit a Walmart bookcase to create a 3 story school, and even shared what she used for lab desks and Home Ick room. Brilliant stuff :)

Please let me know if my photo album can be seen. I am adding photos still.

MissElissa21
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

That is so cool! I am Melissa, welcome to the group! I hope you get the pictures up soon, I would really love to see it! 

MissElissa21
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Where did you create the album at? I don't see it on your profile or in here yet.

wildflower1980
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Me too! Our girls 8 & 6 love Monster High. :)

Quoting mommy2bagain560:

cant wait to see pictures!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM

That's so awesome! You can upload the pictures into the body of your post, too. :) I cannot wait to see it, it sounds amazing!

zombimomma
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Here's a photo of the dollhouse before we started.

melliburger
by Melli on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM

wow good luck!

M.I.L.F201
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Post more!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)