• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giant pic!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

*Not my girls or my work!*

Giant Picture - tutorial!

I posted awhile an image that showed off the giant picture I made for my girls' room - finally, the tutorial is here!  It was so cheap - around $13.
First, I saw on IAmMommaHearMeRoar that you could make big prints at office stores (Office Max, Office Depot) for cheap - just ask for the "Engineer's Print".  Awesome.  The only downside is it is in black-and-white, but I liked that, so it wasn't a problem.  

So anyways, I made the girls go outside before school so I could get a good snapshot of them in natural light - then I used photoshop to turn it black and white.  Then stick that image on a jump drive data stick thingy.

Now off to gather supplies - - first up, foam board for the picture.  Where do you get one that big??  Home Depot/Lowes - yep, it's the big foam pieces used to insulate houses.  And it's cheap - $11 for the whole board and you can get a couple of pictures out of it.
Then head off to the office store and ask for "the biggest engineer's print you can make" and hand over your jump drive.  It is 4 feet by 3 feet, which didn't seem that big til I hung it in their room and BAM, it's gigantic, but I'm okay with it.  Anyways, it was about $8.  They warned me that it wouldn't be photo-quality - - but hey, for $8, it was good enough for me!

UPDATE - I snapped a quick picture of the picture so you can see the quality -- up close it's not dead-on crisp, but who's looking that close anyways.  And it's not pixely at all...this is the bangs of the daughter on th right...

Go home and place your photo on your foam board  then cut off any extra...

Now, here's where things went horribly wrong and I stopped taking pictures. Let me give you some advice:

--you can't spraypaint stryofoam!  -- I guess this is pretty common knowlegde, but no one told me.  It eats away at the foam.  So I had to use the other half of my board - good thing it was so big.  Instead of spraypaint, just use craft paint to paint the edges black.  And FYI, there's a clear film, like seran wrap, over the foam - peel it off so the paint will work.

--don't use mod podge for flimsy paper! -- I had planned to use spray glue, but had lent it out and figured I'd just mod podge the board and set the picture on - bad idea.  The mod podge was way to wet and cause the paper to wrinkle.  Plus then when I tried to smooth it out it wrinkled more and more.  Quite the disaster on their faces.  So I had to throw that picture away.  And trek back to make another copy (I'm sure they thought I was crazy)

So, lesson learned, I used craft paint on the edges and spray glue to stick it down.  I sprayed the whole board then had someone help me - one of us on each end of the big picture - slowly lower the picture onto the tacky board.  Then press it into place.

That's it!  To hang it, we used duct tape to hold loops of wire and hooked those over nails - super high-tech, only not :) Update - a view of the back for those who asked about it:

Here's the view looking into their room - I love it, and so do they!!

I want this for my girls room!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeyganCasillas
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw this on pintrest too. They look like my daughters & it caught me eye! it's an adorable idea.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I like it.
jryberg
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

great job - thanks for sharing including the things you found not to do :)

lip.lock
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
its cute, i would want the picture on fabric, then you could staple it to a large frame rather than all that gluing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

That is cool!

powow65
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
cool! Tyvm for the info hun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Burge
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Omg!!! I love it! I'm going to have to do that for my boys!! :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancymaggielee
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I love this craft, how special for your girls,  great job!

Another craft to try is painting on rocks

melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Cool!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)