• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to make fabric circles????

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know it may sound dumb but I crochet,  not sew so I'm soooo in the dark here.

What I'm doing is wish critters and a portion goes to an animal rescue.  Now I've almost got the wish fish done but I'm doing a butterfly.  It's crochet except the circles over the backside of the wings (I don't like how the backside looks so I want to cover it).  Now I've done a circle and tried to hem (by hand) the edge and its not .... well lets just say that isn't leaving the door lol.  

Any suggestions? tutorials with pictures????

Thanks ladies!!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Bump for help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChelleB
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Wish I could help! I try not to hem by hand lol but whenever I see circles on quilts or such, they are usually left to fray around the edges (love that look). For a lining on your crochet wings, the only thing I can suggest is to cut slits around the outside of the circle, fold under, iron to set, and then sew onto your wings around the edges so you have clean edges around your lining.

lisafamily
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Can you put "fray check" on the edges of the circles?

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Use a stabilizer to keep it from fraying, and just cut the fabric. You could also use felt. :)

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

This is good advice on making circles to sew down. I'm not sure if it works again crocheted though.. it's definitely worth a shot!!  I have never tried to sew anything to yarn. Sounds like a fun project. lol! :)

Quoting MommaChelleB:

Wish I could help! I try not to hem by hand lol but whenever I see circles on quilts or such, they are usually left to fray around the edges (love that look). For a lining on your crochet wings, the only thing I can suggest is to cut slits around the outside of the circle, fold under, iron to set, and then sew onto your wings around the edges so you have clean edges around your lining.

MommaChelleB
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yeah, it depends on what type of yarn is used. If its acrylic yarn and a bigger stitch the sewing wont help much. But if it's a firmer yarn like cotton and/or a smaller stitch, then sewing a lining on is easier. You could do a blanket stitch around the edges, or just do a straight stitch to sew it down.

rowansmum
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:18 AM
What's that?

Quoting lisafamily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:20 AM
Its a recycled acrylic blend, 3.5 hook. Maybe I will let it fray? Its not like these are wearable and going to be washed much

Quoting MommaChelleB:

Yeah, it depends on what type of yarn is used. If its acrylic yarn and a bigger stitch the sewing wont help much. But if it's a firmer yarn like cotton and/or a smaller stitch, then sewing a lining on is easier. You could do a blanket stitch around the edges, or just do a straight stitch to sew it down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
It's in a little bottle and it's called fray check. It's clear and dries clear. You can use it on ribbon or fabric to keep it from fraying. They have it at our Walmart.

Quoting rowansmum:

What's that?

Quoting lisafamily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)