Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

serger thread?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 3 Replies

So I'm starting to figure out my serger, but half the time I want to put it in its box and walk away. The thread keeps breaking and the tension is so super touchy. I threw out the cheapo thread I got and am using regular (gutterman) thread, but still having issues. What kind of thread do you serge with? Any other tips? Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jenny31978
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM

What serger do you have? I use the Gutermann serger cone thread without a problem. Do you have the manual to your serger? I know all sergers are very finicky when it comes to threading. You have to thread it in the correct order or else it won't work right. I had to rethread about 10x today because one of the lower looper threads kept breaking. I thought it was because I had threaded the lower loopers incorrectly, but it turned out that my upper looper threads had crisscrossed one another & was causing the lower looper thread to break. Also, I'd open up the box & see if there is thread, dust, fabric or whatnot inside. Sometimes that causes breakage. I clean mine out everytime.

Try rethreading & setting the tension to 0. Practice chaining to see if it will chain. If it does, then move the tension to the regular setting (mine is 4).

ariel08
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm just using the thread for my sewing machine, I haven't gotten to the fabric store to check out the serger thread yet (it's an hour away...). And I've gotten good at re-threading according to the pictures lol. I have a Brother and they have lots of arrows... I think it's just really touchy.... I did hem another blanket and some pants without breakage.  Thanks for the tips on cleaning it out. It's a steep learning curve!

Jenny31978
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I have the Brother too, & I find it rather touchy too. I broke a needle & had to take it in to get serviced/re-balanced. Very frustrating!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)