Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel so BAD!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 35 Replies

:( I gave my pooch a bath today, first one since we got her, and we got this super sensitive skin soap... And about fifteen minutes after the bath, she is covered, literally, head to toe in hives! (by the way, I am too now.. .-_-) Poor dog! So we gave her benadryl (per vet orders) and rinsed her again in the bath. I walked her downstairs to give her a treat, and she puked the most ginormous amount of red and pink (red food dye, pink benadryl) vomit EVER all over our (white) carpet.

Sigh. So, on the phone with the foster agency (because I have NEVER had a big dog before, I don't know what to do!) and she laughed at me a bit when I got to the end of that story. lol. Basically said wait 20 minutes, cook her a hot dog, put two benadryl in there, and if she throws THAT up, bring her to her house, and she would give her a steriod shot for the hives. (she's a vet, I was supposed to go there tonight anyway for pre-emptive anti-biotic for another foster dog's possible contraction of a virus).

Oi! I feel so bad for my poor pooch! :( I feel like such a bad pet owner. I know it's not my fault, I had no clue she would have such senstive skin that the soothing sensitive skin shampoo would do that, but still! :( She has hives all the way up around her eyes and all over her muzzle. :(

So much for sewing tonight. I saw the hives on the way to my studio. Poor dog!!!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jerseymomto3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Poor thing.  Hope her and you fell better.. 

lil_mama06
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Awww...hope she feels better...Poor lil puppy...HUGS momma

mommytohuddy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Poor pup. My beagle has super sensitive skin and his stomach is even worse. We wash him in baby soap. All dog shampoos irritate his skin too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Oh dear :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChelleB
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Aww poor puppy!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Another rescuser suggested just using oatmeal soap (like Aveeno) instead of dog shampoo next time, since oatmeal soothes, but baby shampoo also sounds like a good idea! I guess it's going to be trial and error to find something to use for her. She was super stinky (we got her, and didn't wait to freak her out and bathe her right away, and then she got spayed, and couldn't be washed for a week, so yeah, she was SUPER stinky. lol) so I didn't think to like do a trial test on a patch of her belly or anything. :(

Quoting mommytohuddy:

Poor pup. My beagle has super sensitive skin and his stomach is even worse. We wash him in baby soap. All dog shampoos irritate his skin too much.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Thanks! I'm hoping she'll eat the hot dog, I'm about to attempt it....

Quoting lil_mama06:

Awww...hope she feels better...Poor lil puppy...HUGS momma

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Hot dog, in dog. lol. Now let's see if it stays down!

mommytohuddy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM
I have aveeno oatmeal that i use if he is extremely irritated but it is super expensive. Like $6 a bottle. You can get baby wash for much cheaper so we use that for his regular baths and it smells so good.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Another rescuser suggested just using oatmeal soap (like Aveeno) instead of dog shampoo next time, since oatmeal soothes, but baby shampoo also sounds like a good idea! I guess it's going to be trial and error to find something to use for her. She was super stinky (we got her, and didn't wait to freak her out and bathe her right away, and then she got spayed, and couldn't be washed for a week, so yeah, she was SUPER stinky. lol) so I didn't think to like do a trial test on a patch of her belly or anything. :(

Quoting mommytohuddy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerseymomto3
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

If the hotdog does not stay down try some cooked plain white rice.  It is very blan and easy on the tummy...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)