Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those who have done craft fairs! question

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:59 AM
  • 6 Replies
A friend of mine and I are talking about splitting a table at a craft fair this year.

How well do you usually do? What is your craft? Is variety better?

I make hair bows and sock monkeys- but my sister let me borrow her sewing machine so I'm going to try other things too! The more variety the better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mamabear-Shell
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

In my experience (my mom and I did craft shows for over 15 years) the more variety the more confused people seemed and just walked on.  I wanted to do it all sewing crafts, flowers, jewelry and more.  Not a good idea I found out.  We did sewing crafts and I stuck to my jewelry because it could be easily displayed and seperated.  Just my experience.  As far as how good shows were, we did shows in our own town and they were terrible.  We went to towns around us and they were great and the people that bought from us were from our town, go figure.  If a show is established, a few years old, then most times it should be pretty good.  Another crafter and us became very good friends and she gave us a lot of insight about shows in the area.  Hope some of this helps.  But all in all we had a blast and now my daughter and I are doing crafts.

xomrs.chase
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Thank you!

I'm a SAHM now, and I'm hoping to make a little extra doing it. I would only build an inventory if I thought I could make a profit.

Maybe make samples and post them here to get opinions?

Quoting Mamabear-Shell:

In my experience (my mom and I did craft shows for over 15 years) the more variety the more confused people seemed and just walked on.  I wanted to do it all sewing crafts, flowers, jewelry and more.  Not a good idea I found out.  We did sewing crafts and I stuck to my jewelry because it could be easily displayed and seperated.  Just my experience.  As far as how good shows were, we did shows in our own town and they were terrible.  We went to towns around us and they were great and the people that bought from us were from our town, go figure.  If a show is established, a few years old, then most times it should be pretty good.  Another crafter and us became very good friends and she gave us a lot of insight about shows in the area.  Hope some of this helps.  But all in all we had a blast and now my daughter and I are doing crafts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM
I think it needs to be a well established craft fair. And the tables need to be on the low side. I have looked into fairs that cost over $200 for a table. That was to high for me. My best items were my small items that were only a 1$ or two. I do it for fun and never really made much on it.
ariel08
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I just did my first one before Christmas. I sold mostly minky baby blankets, ribbon tag blankets, and fabric balls. (though I offered a few more things, too). Simple probably is better (though obviously a wide variety of hair bows would be good). If the fee isn't too much, go try it out and see how you do. I had no idea what I'd sell or even who else was going to be there. The more unique, the better too. We had several hair bow ladies at the craft fair, but honestly they were pretty lame and basic.. lol... The fee was only $25. I probably wouldn't pay a lot more than that, but I live in a pretty rural area.

eFreak23
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I have been doing them for 20 years.  They are all hit or miss.  One year I can sell nothing, the next year, at the same show, I can sell 500.00 worth of stuff.

I did one yesterday that was packed with people all day, and I didn't even pay for my table, which was only 15.00!  No one was buying anything!  It was very strange to see it that crowded and no one walking around with bags of stuff they purchased.

Good luck!  Don't give up!!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
There's another post in here on this same topic but I cant search it on mobile to post for you!

Branding is very important. Only bring the things you are the very very best at, and you don't want a chaotic Hodge podge of stuff.

I have done dozens of craft shows. Some things I check for:

Is this craft show advertised well? Newspaper print ads, facebook event page, craigslist listing, and a radio ad at least. Is the show catering to your brand of items? Ie you wouldn't attend a show for mothers day gifts with toys for kids. Do they advertise what the crafters are bringing? Like someone else said, avoid first year shows and go for annual events.

Are you the only vendor with items like yours? Ie, the only children's clothing maker to avoid competition and loss of sales. Is everything at the craft show handmade? I avoid shows that have Avon and tubberware kinda sellers because that's not my target market - if you do shows with only handmade items, you are going to have customers who came out JUST FOR handmade wares. Not Avon.y'know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)