Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An Idea!!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

Fil is always losing the key to the shed! They  have to use the shed everyday to do stuff with the dog (no the dog is not in the shed, the dog food is in there I think?) and just to put boxes and stuff away. ANYWAY they have lots of keys in a small pot that is overflowing on the counter, and again, he is always losing the key because he just leaves it in his pocket, he's lost two copies of it already!

SO the point of this is that I want to make them a hanging key holder... I want to make a personalized one and make enough keyholders for all their keys and then label the slots where specific keys go so it will remind them to put the keys back there!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? I know I'll need a board of some type, should I go with a styrafoam one, or a corkboard? What about for the pegs? Would hooks work best? Has anyone made anything like this that would be willing to share a tutorial or pictures of their project?

Please and thank you for any advice! LOL

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I would do foam with little c-hook screws, and maybe stamp pretty paper with key labels?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I actually have all 26 letters plus other character individual stamps! I was debating on using those or the scrapbooking alphabet stickers... hmmmm 

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I would do foam with little c-hook screws, and maybe stamp pretty paper with key labels?

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Since keys can get heavy and are constantly being lifted or hung-you would be better with using a coat hanger style peg board (wooden) you could either have blank (no pegs) and then you can add (will need a drill) your own decorative brackets) or just find the ones with the wooden pegs in place-and paint and decorate it as you choose.

I'd be worried foam core or styrofoam would just give way after some use.

Katie6382
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I made this for one of our friends for Christmas and it was super easy.  I just used a frame, scrapbook paper and screwed some hooks on the bottom of the frame.  You could probably just make some cute labels to identify where each key should hang.

jryberg
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I was going to suggest something like Katie posted. We put the hooks in a different place but our memo board was made the same way
ZsMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Quoting jryberg:

I was going to suggest something like Katie posted. We put the hooks in a different place but our memo board was made the same way

Oh that's right-I remember the one you posted.

Jaime-Katie-LOVE it!!!

MissElissa21
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Since keys can get heavy and are constantly being lifted or hung-you would be better with using a coat hanger style peg board (wooden) you could either have blank (no pegs) and then you can add (will need a drill) your own decorative brackets) or just find the ones with the wooden pegs in place-and paint and decorate it as you choose.

I'd be worried foam core or styrofoam would just give way after some use.

MissElissa21
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Oh ya and check out Pinterest!

melliburger
by Melli on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Well it's a no-go on that. hubby downshooted my idea and claims they would never use it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)