Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Have you found organization tips that really work?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Do you have better tips than these?

These Home Organization Ideas Belong in the Trash

Posted by Amy Keyishian on February 20, 2012 

playroom

I would dearly love to be organized. I go to friends’ houses and think, “Everything has its place.” By contrast, in my home, everything has its place, and that place is … everywhere.

I'm a sucker for articles on sites like Houzz.com about getting clutter under control, but they always show magazine-ready rooms bathed in gentle morning light with hardwood floors and plenty of room. When Remodelista starts putting out a weekly newsletter called “closet-sized rentals with ugly carpeting made to look kinda cute despite themselves,” I will jettison the self-flagellation and sign right up.

And then sometimes, I just get snarky and sit around thinking up obnoxious comebacks for perfectly nice organizing tips. Cue my mom: “If you spent this much energy following those Flylady tips, your house would look like Gwyneth Paltrow’s!”

Maybe so. But this is what you get from Sister Slacker-Snark. So enjoy.

Terrible Tip #1: “Sort by activity.”
Oh my God. This is like saying, “Step one: Get completely organized.” I want to stab myself in the face even THINKING about the day of hell this tip would entail. First, I’m supposed to sort EVERYTHING into “keep, trash, donate.” When that’s done, I allegedly sort yet again by activity, so I know what kind of storage to get. News flash: The storage I get is called “what’s available on Craigslist,” and every single activity (my kids are 1.5 and 3) is “hurl things randomly around the house.”

Oh God, God help me, this woman just told me to get the kids to help me sort. I want to die.

Terrible Tip #2: “Find a place for everything.”
This advice seems to make sense: Put little-used toys on higher shelves, much-used ones on the lowest. And get increasingly smaller bins for the increasing number of smaller items that seem to overrun every playroom.

Well, sure. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and go nuts trying to organize things. I’ll run to Marshalls and buy some cute $5 bins, and voila! The living-room-basted cuddlies and plastic toys finally have a home. But by the end of each day, there’s still an indeterminate pile of stuff that seems to fit into neither place that takes much too long to sort. What is all that stuff? I need some kind of home archaeologist. It’s like this: weird, scary mound of broken crayons, boxes that something is supposed to go in, and single dolly shoes.

I think that’s the basic problem here: My storage bins, in a strange twist of ironic fate, become part of the parade of clutter. And the Pile of Mystery continues to haunt me.

Terrible Tip #3: “Label, label, label.”
Amy’s response: “Bite me, bite me, bite me.”

Terrible Tip :4: “Pay attention to comfort and style.”
This is the kind of advice that makes me wonder who is having kids these days. Really? Stain-resistant carpeting is a good idea? Play mats are nice on hardwood floors? The hell you say. I thought I was supposed to litter a sisal mat with broken Pfaltzgraff and novelty thumbtacks.

Then again, I did recently post a recent article on Facebook, asking, “Why is this child so glum? Maybe because she lives in a walk-in freezer.” Clearly not all rooms ostensibly designed for children are actually, you know, designed. For children.

Terrible Tip #5: “Create a cleanup system.”
Lady, if I could create a cleanup system, I wouldn't have this problem. And I’ll make a chore chart just as soon as I can figure out what one looks like.

Have you found organization tips that really work? How mad do you get at decluttering articles obviously written by people who already have OCD?

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Lol I love this post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parkerkamismom
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hahahahahahaha

Balancing
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Is something wrong with me because I agree with the tips outlined and don't think it is that difficult to follow or  do???  I agree that labels are a waste of time because kids can't read and pictures will get torn off of bins but I used a bin system for all of the girls toys and it was/still is a very manageable way to do it.  In fact, I have that same toy sorter in the picture.

I guess the only thing I would add to the tips already listed is... put away, clean up before something else is brought out and some things don't need to come out/be played with unless an adult is doing it with them...  crayons, play-do, flash cards, games, etc and that avoids a lot of the coloring on the wall issues, little pieces you step on issues and the endless pile of crap.  

We clean out and donate as we go.  the McD toy doesn't last longer than a week or so in the house before it is put in the bin to go.

Anniea90
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I think the best thing to do is to get rid of things. When your child outgrows them - pack them and store them if you plan on having more kids or donate them. That helps a lot. I have one child and yet I have enought toys to run a daycare. As soon as I got rid of the excess it is easier to organize, easier to clean and she even plays with everythign more because she can see what she has and is not overwhelmed and distracted by all the extra toys. 

jryberg
by Jaime on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Nope, personally I agree that the tips work. I just find I don't take the time to maintain after we clean.

Quoting Balancing:

Is something wrong with me because I agree with the tips outlined and don't think it is that difficult to follow or  do???  I agree that labels are a waste of time because kids can't read and pictures will get torn off of bins but I used a bin system for all of the girls toys and it was/still is a very manageable way to do it.  In fact, I have that same toy sorter in the picture.

I guess the only thing I would add to the tips already listed is... put away, clean up before something else is brought out and some things don't need to come out/be played with unless an adult is doing it with them...  crayons, play-do, flash cards, games, etc and that avoids a lot of the coloring on the wall issues, little pieces you step on issues and the endless pile of crap.  

We clean out and donate as we go.  the McD toy doesn't last longer than a week or so in the house before it is put in the bin to go.

Angela_Barlow
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I just need to quit buying stuff.

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

I saw this in The Stir - Do you have better tips than these?

These Home Organization Ideas Belong in the Trash

Posted by Amy Keyishian on February 20, 2012 

playroom

I would dearly love to be organized. I go to friends’ houses and think,
“Everything has its place.” By contrast, in my home, everything has its place,
and that place is … everywhere.

I'm a sucker for articles on sites like
Houzz.com about getting clutter under control, but they always show
magazine-ready rooms bathed in gentle morning light with hardwood floors and
plenty of room. When Remodelista starts putting out a weekly newsletter called
“closet-sized rentals with ugly carpeting made to look kinda cute despite
themselves,” I will jettison the self-flagellation and sign right
up.

And then sometimes, I just get snarky and sit around thinking up
obnoxious comebacks for perfectly nice organizing tips. Cue my
mom: “If you spent this much energy following those Flylady tips, your house
would look like Gwyneth Paltrow’s!”

Maybe so. But this is what you get
from Sister Slacker-Snark. So enjoy.

Terrible Tip #1: “Sort by activity.”
Oh my God. This is
like saying, “Step one: Get completely organized.” I want to stab myself in the
face even THINKING about the day of hell this tip would entail. First, I’m
supposed to sort EVERYTHING into “keep, trash, donate.” When that’s done, I
allegedly sort yet again by activity, so I know what kind of storage to get.
News flash: The storage I get is called “what’s available on Craigslist,” and
every single activity (my kids are 1.5 and 3) is “hurl things randomly around
the house.”

Oh God, God help me, this woman just told me to get the kids
to help me sort. I want to die.

Terrible Tip #2: “Find a place
for everything.”

This advice seems to make sense: Put little-used
toys on higher shelves, much-used ones on the lowest. And get increasingly
smaller bins for the increasing number of smaller items that seem to overrun
every playroom.

Well, sure. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and
go nuts trying to organize things. I’ll run to Marshalls and buy some cute $5
bins, and voila! The living-room-basted cuddlies and plastic toys finally have a
home. But by the end of each day, there’s still an indeterminate pile of stuff
that seems to fit into neither place that takes much too long to sort. What is
all that stuff? I need some kind of home archaeologist. It’s like this: weird,
scary mound of broken crayons, boxes that something is supposed to go in, and
single dolly shoes.

I think that’s the basic problem here: My storage
bins, in a strange twist of ironic fate, become part of the parade of clutter.
And the Pile of Mystery continues to haunt me.

Terrible Tip #3:
“Label, label, label.”

Amy’s response: “Bite me, bite me, bite
me.”

Terrible Tip :4: “Pay attention to comfort and
style.”

This is the kind of advice that makes me wonder who is
having kids these days. Really? Stain-resistant carpeting is a good idea? Play
mats are nice on hardwood floors? The hell you say. I thought I was supposed to
litter a sisal mat with broken Pfaltzgraff and novelty thumbtacks.

Then
again, I did recently post a recent article on Facebook, asking, “Why is
this child so glum? Maybe because she lives in a walk-in
freezer.” Clearly not all rooms ostensibly designed for children are actually,
you know,
designed. For children.

Terrible
Tip #5: “Create a cleanup system.”

Lady, if I could create a cleanup
system, I wouldn't have this problem. And I’ll make a chore chart just as soon
as I can figure out what one looks like.

Have you found
organization tips that really work? How mad do you get at decluttering articles
obviously written by people who already have OCD?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I kinda needed this HAHAHA

MissElissa21
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I really do love the flylady.com It's has helped us tremendously in getting our house together! We are still in the baby steps parts, but we do the little challenges and the kids do the kids challenge too! I have managed to keep my kitchen, playroom and bathrooms spotless for 2 weeks now. I also cleared off my "hot spot." Nothing else has worked for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)