Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Satin Flowers w/ Burnt Edges?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have fabric for about 5 dress for my DD. However I do not want them all to look the same. I thought about making 2 pillow case dresses but on one of them I was going to put a satin flower. I have seen vids on youtube, but has anyone actually made one? How hard were they? did you want to pull your hair out?

example:

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That's pretty! No, I've never made one

Anniea90
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

from the vids I have seen they look easy enough, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually made one. Of course the person on the vid makes it look easy they have done it a lot.... 

aaavasquez
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Never tried it but that looks cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenny31978
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

They are super easy & pretty forgiving! I sell a lot of them. Just make sure you're not holding the material too close to the flame otherwise it will catch on fire. Keep a glass of water close by just in case!

These are just concentric circles cut, singed, & stacked.

To get this flower shape, I cut circles, but then cut slits in the circles. The petals should form themselves when you singe the circle.

Anniea90
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Wow! Those look awesome. Thank you! About how many layers would you say the last flower is?

Quoting Jenny31978:

They are super easy & pretty forgiving! I sell a lot of them. Just make sure you're not holding the material too close to the flame otherwise it will catch on fire. Keep a glass of water close by just in case!

To get this flower shape, I cut circles, but then cut slits in the circles. The petals should form themselves when you singe the circle.

Jenny31978
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

My guess is 7-8 layers. I like fuller looking flowers. Most of the time I make more petals than I actually use. I just start stacking until I find a shape I like.

Anniea90
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Thanks! I am going to give it a go tomorrow. Going to make a hair clip first as my dry run annd then I will attempt to make one or maybe 3 for her dress.. I am still very much undecided lol

MommiE8983
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM
I've been wanting to try those for awhile! Good luck and post pictures :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
522_angel
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I love making those!  You just have to experiment a little with how close to hold the fabric to the flame. Some are really sensitive and curl up right away (like tulle) and others don't do much. 

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Gorgeous!!

Quoting Jenny31978:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)