Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Mom’s Coca-Cola Habit Turns Deadly... How much soda do you drink?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

Young Mom’s Coca-Cola Habit Turns Deadly

Posted by April Peveteaux

coca cola deadlyI admit, after having my first baby, I upped my caffeine intake dramatically. Baby number two required the occasional afternoon cup of coffee, and still does. So when I read about Natasha Maria Harris, a mom to eight, drinking 18 pints of Coca-Cola a day, I could almost see the math working there. Except of course, no one should be drinking 18 pints of Coca-Cola per day. Not even an exhausted 30-year-old mom who apparently has been pregnant non-stop since she was in her teens.

Now, tragically, those eight children are motherless, as Harris is dead and the suspect is her massive intake of soda.

We all know that caffeinated sugar drinks are not good for anybody, but I doubt this young lady thought she could die from her excessive consumption. In fact, her partner Christopher Hodgkinson made the statement that he thought Coca-Cola was as harmless as water. Clearly these two needed a nutrition class.

Harris died of cardiac arrhythmia and additionally had a diseased liver. The autopsy found that she had severe hypokalemia, and a lack of potassium in the blood, likely due to her hardcore Coke drinking. She had been throwing up about six times a week and feeling unwell prior to her death. The suspect in her vomiting episodes was caffeine toxicity. I'm wondering why no one felt like cluing her in before she dropped dead?

It's possible she was warned, as she is described as being "addicted" to the soft drink. Clearly there's something going on if you're able to drink soda in that quantity. That's more water than a healthy person needs in a day. I almost wonder how she had time to do anything else, like take care of her eight children, if she was busy downing pints of soda.

This is a tragic story that leaves children without a mother, even if that mother had a serious problem. It's hard to believe that nobody raised an eyebrow when she was slugging down the soda, but addiction does trump reason. And sadly, it will also kill you.

How much soda do you drink?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Wow!!! That's so sad :(

We barely drink pop. If we go out we usually get water or lemonade, but sometimes will get pop. We do not buy it for the house tho...

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I used to drink about 6-7 cans of soda a day.  But about a month ago I stopped drinking so much soda and now drink mainly water and maybe 1 soda a day but usually it's only water.

Jenny31978
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

We don't keep pop in the house. I'll get a pop on occasion while we're eating out, but I don't drink it very often. I am a huge coffee & tea drinker though.

The mother in question was drinking over 2.5 GALLONS of Coke a day. That's an insane amount of pop.

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Seriously?

Sorry-don't mean to sound cold-But 18 pints of soda...a day????

Soda is a treat in this house-I normally prefer juice or tea...And I admit I will go through carbonation withdrawal..

But MAX...MAXXXXXXXX I can stand to drink in a day is 3 cans-And that's just cuz I'm hooked on this Peach Soda (Supermarket brand) and usually when Aunt Flow is around.

It's like the people who lived on Monster when hubby worked the overnights in a call center for a major cel phone carrier...20 sumthins having heart attcks @ their desks and having the ambulance called was a yearly norm-several times a year.

Oi.

Feel sorry for her kids-but Seriously???

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM
I drink maybe one can a day, three days a week. Oi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSexyCurtains
by Jasmine on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Ok I will admit I can go through a 24 pack of cola in a week.  I started drinking tea with lemon and a little bit of sugar so I can stay away from alot of soda.  I really need to drink more water.

MissElissa21
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Holy cow that's a lot of soda!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parkerkamismom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I'm a Diet Pepsi junkie, I admit it.  I drink approx. 4 cans a day, sometimes more or less.  I also drink water and tea.

Everyone knows that pop is not good for you - I think we can all agree it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, but I never would have guessed that it could actually kill you.  Granted, the amount she drank, per day, was EXCESSIVE, but to assume that this young gal was stupid or those around her were stupid because no one told her is, imo, ludacris.  There may have been people tell her she drinks too much, she should quit, etc., but I would lay money that NO ONE could have foreseen that it was going to kill her.

It's sad and I think it's just as sad that information about this is not out there - like I said, we all know it's not good for us, weight gain, bad teeth, etc.  But death....I doubt many knew/know that.

kikyo1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM
I just stoped drinking soda for a weight loss contest and drinking more water before I could go through a 12pack a week but its very sad that she was drinking so much that is just crazy and really almost any thing we do in massive amounts can kill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jryberg
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I drink a lot of soda but that is WAY more than I would even think is possible. I go through phases of cutting out soda and just drinking water but then I get bored and go right back to soda...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)