Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Crafty Business

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 23 Replies

I want to earn a little extra side income and I was wondering how many of you ladies sell your craft? How well do you do (I don't need specific numbers)? What do you make/sell and where do you sell it? Any info or tips would be extremely helpful. Thanks ladies :)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I sell my jewelry and beaded accessories that I make. I sell on storenvy. It's 100% free and customizable. I don't make uber much. You need to figure in start up costs, and it's normal for a business to be in the black or break even in their first year. There are a lot of htings you'll need for your business, and check with the IRA website to see what your state tax rules are and what the business requirements are.

sew4fun
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I sell several things. I mostly sell locally and my business is "word of mouth" for the most part. I do sell some from facebook as well.  I have a storeny store but have not set it up yet. I also do craft shows here and there ( I have only done two so far and have two more linned up) Right now I am mainly selling simple ladies and girls clothes ( skirts, dresses and embelished shirts) jewlery for all ages and hair accessories for all ages. I also make and sell dress up clothes an accessories but only do that around halloween and christmas time .

sew4fun
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Oh I forgot to say how "well I do " I do not try to make a whole lot, I do it to pay for homeschool related expenses ( books,curriculum,field trips, craft and school supplies) and to help with gas and grocery money. I am able to accomplish that monthly.

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Thank you for your input. I'm not looking to make it rich or anything but gas money, groceries, and to easily pay for all my sons actifities (he's in alot of sports and it isn't cheap).

Quoting sew4fun:

Oh I forgot to say how "well I do " I do not try to make a whole lot, I do it to pay for homeschool related expenses ( books,curriculum,field trips, craft and school supplies) and to help with gas and grocery money. I am able to accomplish that monthly.

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thanks! May I ask if you do this for a living or is this for side money?

Quoting melliburger:

I sell my jewelry and beaded accessories that I make. I sell on storenvy. It's 100% free and customizable. I don't make uber much. You need to figure in start up costs, and it's normal for a business to be in the black or break even in their first year. There are a lot of htings you'll need for your business, and check with the IRA website to see what your state tax rules are and what the business requirements are.

sew4fun
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM

That may be hard at first, but do not give up! For me it is all about finding a good balance and schedule to stay on top of my "business" and I have learned that customer service as well as quality are things that can make or break any busniess owner but seem to be especially true for hand made businesses. Also even if you make something that several others make ( bows for instance) try and find something that makes you stand out from others, even little things can make a differencce.

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Thank you for your input. I'm not looking to make it rich or anything but gas money, groceries, and to easily pay for all my sons actifities (he's in alot of sports and it isn't cheap).

Quoting sew4fun:

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Neither. I sell my jewelry because I love making it so much and I couldn't wear it on my own. Whatever I make goes back into paying my taxes and getting new beads that I want and don't need or random supplies. I don't pay bills with my "earnings" so to speak, just random stuff I want :)

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Quoting melliburger:

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM

It funds what you love :) Thats great!

Quoting melliburger:

Neither. I sell my jewelry because I love making it so much and I couldn't wear it on my own. Whatever I make goes back into paying my taxes and getting new beads that I want and don't need or random supplies. I don't pay bills with my "earnings" so to speak, just random stuff I want :)

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Quoting melliburger:

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Well, we can pay for this stuff now.... I just don't want to keep paying out of my paycheck lol... I'd like to just do this for the extras and a little of the necessities :)

Quoting sew4fun:

That may be hard at first, but do not give up! For me it is all about finding a good balance and schedule to stay on top of my "business" and I have learned that customer service as well as quality are things that can make or break any busniess owner but seem to be especially true for hand made businesses. Also even if you make something that several others make ( bows for instance) try and find something that makes you stand out from others, even little things can make a differencce.

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Quoting sew4fun:

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

:) ya it is !lol

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

It funds what you love :) Thats great!

Quoting melliburger:

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

Quoting melliburger:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)