• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jewelry makers...Wire wrapping question!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • 16 Replies
So I've been making wire wrapped jewelry for 3 years now and I'm self taught. I've been YouTubing some stuff lately for some new ideas and their wrapping technique, for the most part, is different than mine.
For example, instead of making a simple loop, you are making a wrapped loop. When you are wrapping the wire do you use pliers to hold the loop AND the wire you are wrapping or do you hold the loop with pliers and wrap holding the wire with your fingers?
I am in the latter category. I feel I have more control over the wire if it's in my fingers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I do the later also. Then I take my crimp pliers and use them to help push that last little bit down if sticking up KWIM?

cmkahn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM
That's exactly what I do, too! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my crimp pliers!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM
I hold the loop with pliers and wrap by hand most of the time, then use the pliers to finish it up and add final touches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Do it however it works for you! I use wire pliers but I have only ever wrapped stones.

cmkahn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I've tried both ways and feel I have no control with both hands holding pliers! ;-)
I soooo badly need to learn how to wrap stones. I was given a 5 gallon bucket of un-drilled stones like carnelian, amethyst, goldstone, pink quartz...to name a few!!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Do it however it works for you! I use wire pliers but I have only ever wrapped stones.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM

It depends on what I'm making.  sometimes I just hold things with my hands other times (for a tighter pull) I'll use tools

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Buwahaha-Sorry-It's not something I ever thought about-heck-I couldn't even tell ya what/when/for what I work one way or another-wire n me are friends-sometimes we fight..I know NOT to work with it if I'm having a bad day-But I honestly don't think I can answer this question unless I grab some wire and see what I do-I guess it's like breathing-I don't "think" bout it-I just create.

cmkahn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I will grab the 2nd pair if things need an "attitude adjustment"! Haha!!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

It depends on what I'm making.  sometimes I just hold things with my hands other times (for a tighter pull) I'll use tools

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmkahn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Hahaha!! I didn't really think much about how I do it until I see all the videos done by "professionals" and I started wondering if I'm weird!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Buwahaha-Sorry-It's not something I ever thought about-heck-I couldn't even tell ya what/when/for what I work one way or another-wire n me are friends-sometimes we fight..I know NOT to work with it if I'm having a bad day-But I honestly don't think I can answer this question unless I grab some wire and see what I do-I guess it's like breathing-I don't "think" bout it-I just create.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I'm also self taught... and I don't pay close enough attention lol I have no idea how to describe what I"m doing :) and like Heids, sometimes the wire hates me and doesn't want to cooperate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)