Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Need a pattern for nursing pillow

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 5 Replies

Making a nursing pillow (c pillow, whatever you want to call it) without a pattern. I'm having trouble putting my measurements for the curve, onto the fabric. Ya know so it's in the C shape I need. First time I had a strait line, seccond it didn't have enough of a curve. Can't figure it out. Any tips? Other than get a pattern. I used up my spending cash. Unless anyone knows where to get one online for free?

-Sandy

aka TheGrimToad

bat

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sew4fun
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

HERE you are

Free Nursing Pillow Pattern

Here is a free nursing pillow pattern for you to print and use! I've tried out a few breastfeeding pillows in my years of nursing and loved the Boppy. However, I also loved the thicker height of a few other brands so I designed my own and this is it! Mine will stuff thicker, bringing baby right up to the perfect height - no need to support with an arm underneath or bolster with another pillow. In fact, my little guy is asleep on the pillow I made in these very photos as I type on my laptop. No kidding, this is how I get work done.

If you are looking to make a Boppy slipcover, it will fit with this pattern - see the photos of our breastfeeding pillow slipcover on a Boppy below for examples.

Materials Needed:

• 1.5 yards slipcover fabric (flannel, fleece, minky)
  • 1.5 yards pillow fabric (cotton)
  • stuffing

Here is nursing pillow pattern in PDF format for both the pillow and slipcover.

It will print on 6 regular letter sized pages for you to tape together. Make sure you are printing without margins. The instructions are not included in the PDF, they are written out on this page below.

Nursing Pillow Pattern & Slipcover Instructions:

nursing pillow pattern

First, print out the PDF and tape it all together as shown. You'll notice that there is only one pattern for both the actual pillow and for the slipcover. For the pillow, simply cut two identical sides, sew wrong sides together and leave a small opening to stuff, turn right side out and then stuff and sew opening. The tutorial below is for the slipcover as it is ever so slightly more complicated. Not much though!

breastfeeding pillow pattern nursing pillow pattern pieces

Your slipcover opening is on one side and is simply overlapping fabric held together by velcro. No zippers to sew, yay! By putting the opening on the end you can use both sides of your breastfeeding pillow. However, you may do your overlap where you like! By doing it right in the middle, for example, would make changing the cover even faster.

nursing pillow tutorial nursing pillow slipcover pieces

Turn under and hem the edges of the two pieces that will overlap to create the opening. Next, place right sides together.

nursing pillow handmade slipcover handmade

Place smallest piece on top and pin all the way around. After sewing (I always sew twice to reinforce it) you can turn right side out.

nursing pillow slipcover pattern handmade nursing pillow

All done! Nice and plump.

free nursing pillow pattern

PS - Below is what it looks like as a Boppy slipcover:

make boppy slipcover boppy tutorial

Notice how it fits just fine on my Boppy, but is ever so slightly baggy? Totally functional this way, but it is meant for my own nursing pillow pattern. Just wanted to show you the difference in case you have a Boppy you intend to cover.

Enjoy the nursing pillow pattern & slipcover pattern & happy sewing!!

This post links up with Its So Very Creative and also C.R.A.F.T. where you can find all sorts of other cool projects from around the web!

Go back to the Nursing & Feeding section.
thegrimtoad
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Thanks! You're a life saver. I had a lot of choice words to say when I was trying to figure it out on my own.

-Sandy

aka TheGrimToad

bat

MrsSexyCurtains
by Jasmine on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I need o print and save this :)
melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

:) Look slike you got a good tutorial! :) Good luck! 

thegrimtoad
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Oh man... The rest of that makebabystuff.com website would so be trouble, if all that stuff wasn't so inexpensive to make. It is exactly what I've been looking for. Things are going to get expensive once my little girl gets here. I'm trying to do what I can to save before that. Not to mention making stuff makes it all so personal :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN