Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

sewing machine

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am going to buy a sewing machine ( my first ever!) In the next couple of days! I want some opinions on a good beginner machine that I can grow into!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AjCeCeMom
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I bought a brother about 6 years ago. It's the project runway one lol, it's served it's purpose and has a zipper foot, button hole attachment etc.

It was about $100 from walmart. I'm going to upgrade soon because the timing is off (after sewing over pins... Lazy) and I just want something better. It was a great machine to start with though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I have a Brother Project Runway and I hate it. It doesn't handle heavy workloads well, and my bobbin keeps coming unthreaded when I sew for long periods of time on big projects. :\ I love my Bernina though!!!!!!!!!!

Schaiswife09
by Brittney on May. 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I have a brother project runway..the simple two stitch one. It works great and does enough for a beginner sewer. I have a warranty on it but it works wonderfully so far
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM
My DH got me a singer pixie last month. It was my first time ever using a machine and it was very easy to figure out! I've already even made DD a dress :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM
I meant to come back earlier. I have a Bernina that is my primary machine and the brother is a back up. I love love love my Bernina! It works so well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampbellMama
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Wow! The Bernina is quite pricy!! Way out of my price range!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM
They are but a very worth while investment. I have had mine three years and only needed to take it in twice - once when the kids I baby sat stuck pins in the motor and now after 3 years almost of SUPER hard work, and it just needs a simple oiling. You can get models for as low as $500.

If you are just starting out and aren't sure you'll keep with it check craigslist and thrift stores for a starter machine to get you going. :) saves you a ton of money and you may find a steal of a deal on a great machine!

Quoting CampbellMama:

Wow! The Bernina is quite pricy!! Way out of my price range!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampbellMama
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Ok ladies! Thank you for your opinions but to those of you who said the brother PRw...what are your experiences with thick fabric? I read some reviews of the machine and found that some say it doesn't do well with thick fabric. My first project will be cloth diapers made of fleece and flanel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmom7210
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I have 2 janome. They heavy duty
One and regular one and a janome serger
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I mostly sew with fleece and flannel and the machine keeps jamming with it. :( also the bottom thread jacks up if you sew for long periods of time with thick materials. And my needles keep bending. I think its just not powerful enough for thick fabrics and it cant punch through is why they bend. I am using denim needles too.

Quoting CampbellMama:

Ok ladies! Thank you for your opinions but to those of you who said the brother PRw...what are your experiences with thick fabric? I read some reviews of the machine and found that some say it doesn't do well with thick fabric. My first project will be cloth diapers made of fleece and flanel

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)