Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe
I am going to buy a sewing machine ( my first ever!) In the next couple of days! I want some opinions on a good beginner machine that I can grow into!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-16):
SLGross215
by Sarah on May. 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I have a Brother that cost 80.00 at Walmart. It's been a work horse for 4 yrs now and there has not been one issue with my machine. I can even quilt with it.

Yuriko_chan
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I have a brothers machine. I really like it a lot. At first I was having problems with the tension, but I figured that out. Then when I was sewing diapers, it seemed to always mess up. Then I was reading and I had the wrong needles! Now I have no problems with it what so ever and I'm very happy with the last this I sewed. I think today I'm actually going to sew a dress for my girl. Not sure yet though how I'm going to get a button or zipper on it as I've never done those before. Only ties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GamerMom1
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I bought my husqvarna 116 6 years ago. It was expensive but well worth it. I can do a lot of things with it. I can sew any from silk to leather to vinyl. It comes with some different attachemnts. You can quickly change out just by snapping them in. If your going to do casual sewing then I would go cheaper. If your going to be doing projects to sell, then I would buy a really nice one. It would save you money in the long run.
MamaSulli2005
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Same here. I sew a lot of double layers of fleece so it knocks a lot. My bobbin starts unthreading towards the end. but for only a few cotton layers it works pretty great.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I have a Brother Project Runway and I hate it. It doesn't handle heavy workloads well, and my bobbin keeps coming unthreaded when I sew for long periods of time on big projects. :\ I love my Bernina though!!!!!!!!!!

SabrinaLC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I had a fairly cheap Brother for 8 years, I think you can get the same model for about $60 - $70 at Walmart.  It worked well for simple things.

For Christmas last year I got a Singer Curvy as a gift.  I really enjoy using it and haven't had any problems yet.  

mariesmama
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

i have a computerized project runway brother its fine for the dollys i make it cost 150$

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)