Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

I'm attempting to sew tonight...

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have to sew a bunch of dresses in three weeks for my wedding (including MY dress) and I don't have a sewing machine and I have little experience sewing. I have two people who have agreed to help me, but they're both really busy and are experienced sewers. I found this pattern and tutorial for an infinity dress and I've tried to explain that the dress is very simple, so it's not like each dress takes 16 hours to sew. Each dress should take 2-4 hours to sew depending on who works on it. So I'm going to bite the bullet and make one of them on my own by hand just to show them that I'm not crazy. I ordered lavender and white fabric, so I'm going to try my hand at this dress on the lavender one first. Hopefully after I craft this one I'll get help from someone with a machine on the white one! Please wish me luck! Here's the tutorial: sewlikemymom.com/little-red-infinity-dress-tutorial/

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmc.momma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:37 AM
By hand?!? In 2-4 hours?!? Good luck with that lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on May. 2, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Wow! Good luck!!!!

lalaboosh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM

No, that's the machine sewing time. I'm hoping to get it all cut out tonight and sew at least half of it tomorrow. If I can do it by hand with my limited experience in less than two days they might stop thinking they're making a wedding gown for me. Cuz a GOWN is WORK!

Quoting usmc.momma:

By hand?!? In 2-4 hours?!? Good luck with that lol

lalaboosh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Ok, I got it almost all cut out. I've got the straps cut, the waist band cut, and the waist cut. I just neet to hem it, but I think I'll wait to do that till it's sewn together. I'll have DF pick up pins and needles so I can sew it tomorrow. I'll admit that trying to cut stretchy fabric on shag carpet made my blood pressure rise and I almost cried, but I did it! I feel like if I just sweep and mop my kitchen floor and find my knee pads before I try the next one I could do this all by myself! (I mean make the one I'll get married in, not just the one I'll go to the grocery store in)

lalaboosh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM

And I tried it on (put the skirt on and tucked the straps into the waist and carefully draped the straps around my body) and it looks fabulous. I don't think anyone would know it was sewn by a person who has made like four things in a decade. Lol!

ForeverMommy08
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:42 AM
happy sewing!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jryberg
by Jaime on May. 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM

good luck with your projects! and congratulations on your up coming wedding.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Good luck! I cant wait to see it!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearspea
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniea90
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

YAY! love sewing! good luck, would love to see pics when you are done :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN