Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Crocheted Owl Hat & Toddler Beanie**Pics

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm so excited about this - for 2 years I've been failing at learning how to crochet. I've so badly wanted to learn for my daughter so I could make her hats and stuffed animals. Finally, after failing and putting it away for a few months to get it back out and fail again and FINALLY succeeding two months ago, I've moved from blankets to hats.

I made my first beanie on Sunday and this owl hat on Monday. Following patterns for me is like following recipes - I can NOT do it! I look at a picture and then my hands take on a life of their own. I guess I'm not one to follow directions (at least that's what my dad used to always say! lol)

So it's not perfect, but for having very little knowledge of crocheting and just looking off of pictures from google, I think it turned out pretty ok!

My first beanie (modeled by my silly daughter)

Owl Hat (which was supposed to be for DD but accidently got too big - so it's now mine and I'll be making Katie a matching one later this week)

Me modeling it:

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
T-Rentsmommy06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Very cute. Good job!! How long have you been crocheting?

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM
About a month. I made DD an Easter toddler blanket as my first project and my mom a Mother's Day blanket to practice single stitch, double and half crochets. Now I'm making hats, flowers/roses and leaves.

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Rentsmommy06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

You're doing great. :) I jumped right into beanies. Maybe I should try the blankets. lol I started like five days ago and I am addicted. Three hats down.

Quoting Turtledoves:

About a month. I made DD an Easter toddler blanket as my first project and my mom a Mother's Day blanket to practice single stitch, double and half crochets. Now I'm making hats, flowers/roses and leaves.

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

SabrinaLC
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

cute!

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Awesome! I couldn't get the hand of hats because I had no idea how to do double or half crochets so I practiced on blankets. That sure got me good at them! I've been doing a hat a day, today will be my 5th one but I'll be getting a late start so I'll probably break my daily streak today!

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

You're doing great. :) I jumped right into beanies. Maybe I should try the blankets. lol I started like five days ago and I am addicted. Three hats down.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Rentsmommy06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM

That is awesome. I just need to be creative in making up ideas. With boys it is so much more limited. I guess I could make some girly things. Practice flowers. I am hoping come winter I am good enough to sell them.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Awesome! I couldn't get the hand of hats because I had no idea how to do double or half crochets so I practiced on blankets. That sure got me good at them! I've been doing a hat a day, today will be my 5th one but I'll be getting a late start so I'll probably break my daily streak today!

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Quoting Turtledoves:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM
I put some of my more simpler hats in my store as I'm pretty confident in them but I'll be waiting to put up my princess line. Hopefully Rapunzel's hat (today's work) will come out nicer than Belle's (yesterday) which I was disappointed in. I do so enjoy making girl things - I think I'd make them even if I didn't have a girl!

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

That is awesome. I just need to be creative in making up ideas. With boys it is so much more limited. I guess I could make some girly things. Practice flowers. I am hoping come winter I am good enough to sell them.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Quoting Turtledoves:

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by Jennifer on May. 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Thanks!

Quoting jridgill:

I love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melliburger
by Melli on May. 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I'm too self conscious to post for my own stuff :)

Quoting Turtledoves:

Thank you! I think I look a bit silly in it and I usually don't use myself to model but since I make Katie do the modeling for everything I make for her, I figured it was only fair! Lol.

Quoting melliburger:

You're so pretty!!!

awesome hats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN