Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

New town law OT

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 22 Replies
Ok ladies I need your opinion about something. This is not fake it is really happening in the town I live in. They just passed a law that says if you get caught swearing in public you will be find $X amount of money depending on the word and how many times you used it. Oh and yes this is the good old USA. Would you pay the fine? Would you fight it in court? Are they crazy to even pass this law? Or do you think it a good idea? Does this infringe on our freedom of speech? What are your thoughts?
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meliefrog
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, I would move because I curse like a sailor.  And I think they are so infringing on your freedom of speech,  I sure as heck would fight the ticket..

melliburger
by Melli on May. 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Wow... That's crazy. Do you have an article?

PattyinNV
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Quoting melliburger:

How in the world can they enforce that??  Do you live in a small town/community?  I'd sure fight it big time!!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM
What town/state are you in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I don't swear so it wouldn't bother me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM

yup. local law enforcement must have a lot of time on their hands.

and it's an infringement on first amendment rights.

Quoting PattyinNV:

Quoting melliburger:

How in the world can they enforce that??  Do you live in a small town/community?  I'd sure fight it big time!!

DixieL
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I read this to my husband and he said that it sounds like comunist China. This very much infringes on our freedom of speech. Even though sometimes I hate hearing the F word so much it's none of my business. You can't fight it or ignore it. Since they made it into a law you will either have to pay or go to jail. Everytime I think I have heard it all something else worse comes up. This country is going to hell in a handbag

Brieshon
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Where do you live? The only reference to anything like this are a bunch of protests in Australia and a news story from 2 days ago about a Chicago police chief thinking a $20 fine was a good idea. Do you have a link or something?

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM

MIDDLEBOROUGH (CBS) – Public swearing is so bad in Middleborough that they’re considering a plan to start enforcing a longstanding but rarely-used law.

Folks in town have had enough of kids and some adults who think it’s OK to drop high-volume obscenities in their otherwise bucolic downtown.

“It’s intimidating to my customers,” says business owner Paulette Lilla, “to the people who are out here downtown, and I think it’s a good thing that they’re doing something to try to curb it.”

Former Middleborough Selectwoman Mimi Duphily says, “I don’t think it will solve the problem but it will make them understand what is acceptable behavior and what is not.”

Middleborough Considers Fine For Public Swearing
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Quoting Brieshon:

Where do you live? The only reference to anything like this are a bunch of protests in Australia and a news story from 2 days ago about a Chicago police chief thinking a $20 fine was a good idea. Do you have a link or something?

So it is not just my town. Wow they really have lost it in this country. I think that kids swearing isn't good but really. I think the way people talk is up to them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)