Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Business out of your crafts? (I NEED HELP!)

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

I was just wondering if there are any of you mom's out there that have started your own business by selling the things you enjoy to make? If so, has it been successful for you?

I'm a stay at home single mom who's been desperately looking for work but I'm expecting my second son in August so getting hired has been a real pain for me. I even thought about joining the Slumber Parties team but to start that I'll need $250 that I'm not even close to having.  So I thought why not use my creativity to make things such as wipee cases, baby blankets, photo albums & things of that sort to make a little extra cash? I see people around here doing that all the time so I just wanted to get some insight on it and see if any one else out there has done it and become successful from it?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
melliburger
by Melli on May. 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I have. I LOVE making jewelry and have a jewelry business. It's been ok. It takes a bit of time to get your business rolling. I don't use the money from my business from bills. It's very up and down so I don't think I would depend on the money from my business for bills anyway.

If you want to open a storefront, use storenvy. It is 100% free and customizable. Etsy will charge you fees as will other storefronts.

Brieshon
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I do. I love it, but I don't make a lot of profits (some, just not a lot). I have a full time day job as well as a crazy busy family, so my craft time is limited! Still, it's a nice little supplement and it keeps me sane. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I do it. I sell on storenvy.com. it is excellent! I make storage solutions for kids. I recently wrote my start up story on my blogspot blog. You can find the links in the marketplace. I will post more later heading out to dinner!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Back! I put my money from what I make from my creations into savings but I make enough to cover all of my bills. I use a strong social media campaign to drive sales. Ummm I have more kn this but my dog is freaking out with a squeak toy and I cant think. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Rentsmommy06
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

My friend has been doing well selling her crochet items. She does EVERYTHING. And I adore her baby girl shoes. lol Anyway, she uses facebook and etsy.

I have been selling my crochet stuff more to friends off facebook and one of craigslist. But since I am so new at it (and they are friends/family) I am only charging like $8. Hopefulle by winter it will be more.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
The products your mentioned are quite common so you would need great product photos, a very strong social media campaign to drive interest in your products and competitive pricing with other people who make like items.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN