Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

We Are Going To Close Daft Crafts.

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 101 Replies

That's what my big announcement has been all week. The announcement with everything is here:

http://luanded.blogspot.com/2012/05/value.html

Ever since the screenings started in February, it's been an option, and it is so painful for me though because Daft has been SO freaking successful. Our numbers are excellents, a few of our artists survived solely off their income from Daft, the community has been amazing.. But if you read the post, I am sure you will all understand why I chose to close the shop. Family is the most important thing always, and I never see mine, and with my grandfather dying, and my aunt starting dialysis, and all that stuff, it just makes me want to be home with my family and to have more time for my friends and stuff. ♥ Value what I have while it's here, you know? Since my aunt is so sick I talked to Trace yesterday about considering a move back to the East Coast. I want to be near my family, and my aunt raised me, and I get hysterical every time I think about what she is going through... Anyway. I have had this post made for several days and just haven't posted it because it literally hurts my heart. Welp, anyway... So. There is my big huge announcement! 

by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytohuddy
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM
If you need to talk, you know I am here for you. I agree that sometimes we have to let go to focus on what is truly important. The past few months of my life has more than taught me this. I dropped a big client of mine bc it was so time consuming. I felt like all I did was work and didn't get any quality time with huddy. This is the first full week without it and I feel so relieved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandarose
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I am so sorry. I know you worked so hard for this. I hope you are able to spend more time with your Aunt. Family is a great thing and should always be cherished.

Mommy_Burge
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM
I just saw on fb :(
I hope that transferring ownership becomes an option for y'all. Or maybe just taking a back seat and letting someone else step up.
I only say that because I know the love you have for that place. I remember when you were in the process of getting the space. Lol.
But whatever happens....you had eleven months of awesomeness that you brought to that area and inspired so many other people with your amazing determination and work ethic and passion.
Good luck with everything Cody!!!
I do hope though this isn't truly the last of daft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Thanks.. I appreciate that. Life has just been so emotional. Gauge thinks I spend more time at the shop than with him, which is true sometimes, and I just can't have that. Nothing is more important than Gauge. And during this super stressful time.. None of it has soaked in. I read a story about a woman with breast cancer the other day and bawled my eyes out. It was so freaking hard for me because it never occured to me that's what I could have been going through if the mammogram had a different result. I didn't even have time to soak that up, you know? And maybe it was a good thing.. But I don't want that to be how my life is, so busy I can't focus on the moments that define life, you know?

Quoting mommytohuddy:

If you need to talk, you know I am here for you. I agree that sometimes we have to let go to focus on what is truly important. The past few months of my life has more than taught me this. I dropped a big client of mine bc it was so time consuming. I felt like all I did was work and didn't get any quality time with huddy. This is the first full week without it and I feel so relieved.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Thank you.. I don't even talk to my mom, at all, and my aunt has always been that person in my life. I even call her Mama most of the time. She's always just been a really strong person and it's hard to imagine her so sick. :(

Quoting mandarose:

I am so sorry. I know you worked so hard for this. I hope you are able to spend more time with your Aunt. Family is a great thing and should always be cherished.

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM
(((hugs))) I think it's wonderful that you're choosing to be with your family. Outside of my parents, no family ever came to visit me while I went through cancer and my friends abandoned me. It was so rough. It warms my heart to hear that others have family to go through it with!

I'm sure closing your store is very difficult for you. You've been so successful! Hopefully you can pick it up again later, you obviously are a natural at it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

We have talked to I think three people about transferring ownership but the biggest thing is keeping the dream of Daft intact without bastardizing the name of it - Daft was built on being an affordable venue for artist who get unrivaled social media attention driven to them, and about having amazing quality handmade items at affordable to working joe prices. A lot of people say "Well, how easily would it be to turn this into a profitable business?" Or "How much do you think I could raise the booth rent without losing the artists already here" and so I just tell them no, because I'm not going to let Daft be like that. I had a really, really great contender but she just couldn't make it work. :\

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

I just saw on fb :(
I hope that transferring ownership becomes an option for y'all. Or maybe just taking a back seat and letting someone else step up.
I only say that because I know the love you have for that place. I remember when you were in the process of getting the space. Lol.
But whatever happens....you had eleven months of awesomeness that you brought to that area and inspired so many other people with your amazing determination and work ethic and passion.
Good luck with everything Cody!!!
I do hope though this isn't truly the last of daft.

Jennifair
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Hugs Cody!! You're amazing. Things will work out 

mandarose
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Thank you.. I don't even talk to my mom, at all, and my aunt has always been that person in my life. I even call her Mama most of the time. She's always just been a really strong person and it's hard to imagine her so sick. :(

Quoting mandarose:

I totally understand. I don't talk to my mom either and my dad has filled her shoes. I'm afraid when he gets sick i'm going to be such an emotional mess. I've been trying to convince my husband to move back home already to be near him but he isn't going for it. When my dad gets sick i will be going back for sure.

mariesmama
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

wow  be with your family all i have left of family is a brother i never got to see and an aunt i dont know very well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN