Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

TShirt To Tank Top

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

Saw this on Pinterest Thought I'd share.

Tee to Tank: A Tutorial by Jen from Upcycled Education

This is one of my favorite tee refashions of all time. For a number of reasons.

First, let me tell you that it wasn't my idea. Jen posted this on her facebook page and I jumped at the chance to have a crafty morning with her and watch her make it. Jen blogs atUpcycled Education-- a blog I recommend you peruse, especially if you're an educator-- formally or informally. She's full of good ideas and fun finds and her enthusiasm is catchy. And I'm so excited to share this.

Second, it is soooo quick and easy that it takes less than half an hour.

Third, it uses tees you probably already have a million of and don't enjoy the fit of but have a hard time discarding. For example, I have a pile of camp tees. And tees for walks, races, fundraisers, vacation spots. I like the graphics or the message, but don't find the boxy shape so flattering. This makes a boxy tee sooooo much more flattering. (Without adding much embellishment. A camp tee that's been bedazzled has not necessarily been improved, in my book.)

Fourth, this only requires a tee, scissors and thread. All things you likely already have. Overall cost? Nothing. And now you're wearing shirts that have just been sitting!

So my girls and I spent a lovely morning yesterday with Jen and her daughter. There was play time, craft time, snack time, crafty blog chat time.... everything I could want in a morning. I got to photograph Jen making a tank from start to finish. And when I was packing up I scrolled back through the photos to find that most of the in-process photos were gooone. It appears that my 2yo photographer's assistant had done some editing while I was distracted. I'm totally bummed that I don't get to show you Jen's photos. But the saving grace about this project is... it only took half an hour today to recreate it.

Are you ready to see? Just four steps!

One of Jen's tips for this project is that you can use a tee that already fits well. It doesn't have to be oversized because you're not removing any width. That said, if the tee is quite roomy, you might decide to take in the side seams a bit. Which would add a whole 3 minutes overall.

In step 1 you're making five cuts. Each sleeve just inside the seam, one straight across just underneath the collar, one that trims the bottom hem off and one that creates a drawstring just above where the hem is removed. Like so:

Steps 2, 3 and 4 are pretty straightforward. Here's an illustration of your two lines of stitching in step 3. After stitching you may decide to trim away excess fabric. Or not. 

Here are the finished project photos that did survive my photo assistant. Here's supermodel Jen at work!

And here are four tee-to-tanks, lined up for a shot. I love the way they look together.

So many options for the straps. Tied on one side or two sides? Knots or bows? Or if you're ready to commit to one length, you could easily trim and stitch the two ends together and slide the joined spot into the casing-- probably the safest bet if you're going to wear this BACK to camp with boys who'd untie it. Gotta watch out for those boys...

And to make the straps? Twill tape, ribbon, knit from another shirt in a contrasting color, multiple strips that are braided... so many possibilities.  And comes together so quickly.
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandarose
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I love this idea. I've seen this on kids before. You take a large adult tshirt and do this and let the girl wear it as a dress or a shirt over tights. I'm gonna make my girl a few and me a couple.

SLGross215
by Sarah on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Ooo what an awesome idea. I have tons of tshirts I don't wear

melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice!

mandarose
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I could do this with the shirt i'm wearing right now. It's a yellow Las Vegas shirt. I think it will look a lot better as a tank top :)

GoldenLinds
by Lindsay on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This is perfect. I think ill jazz mine up a bit but I have t shirts I love but can't wear because the sleeve area is too tight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandarose
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I made one for my daughter. I don't like the way it looks though. I didn't get a big enough strap on the bottom. I think i'm going to try it again.

sayres
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it turned out very nice!

Quoting mandarose:

I made one for my daughter. I don't like the way it looks though. I didn't get a big enough strap on the bottom. I think i'm going to try it again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamavaness
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Love this idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Tia on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Man, I love this! I wish I could sew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandarose
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I made another one for me and it turned out much better. The key to this is that the tshirts look better if the shirt fits tighter than bigger. And instead of using the second stand cut off at the bottom i only cut off the first strand and used it. I have an awesome tank top now. I will wear it tomorrow and take a pic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)