Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Altering a pattern?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
Paisley is an odd shape. When we make her dresses we try to make sure the top and bottom are separate pieces. The top we usually make in 3-6 month and the bottom 12 months. It seems to work, just adds some extra gathers in the skirt.

I have a pattern I bought online. I love it and really want to make it. The top and skirt are separate but the smallest size is 12 months. And none of my other patterns have the same style top.

Would it work if I decreased the size before printing? Like knock it down 15% or so?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

You should be able to change the top by using the measurements from a pattern that fit her.

HyperMom38
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I don't think that will work.  Look at your other multi-size patterns- a lot of the cutting lines only change in certain places...   Maybe you should try making the top in scrap fabric first and then put it on her and see where the changes need to be made, then adjust your pattern.  Sometimes some well placed darts or tucks are all that is needed.

Mom2Jase
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I thought about that but this top is circus and all my others are more square. I'm not sure how to convert the curves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM
This is a good idea, I would make a scrap one first with your modification and see how it turns out

Quoting HyperMom38:

I don't think that will work.  Look at your other multi-size patterns- a lot of the cutting lines only change in certain places...   Maybe you should try making the top in scrap fabric first and then put it on her and see where the changes need to be made, then adjust your pattern.  Sometimes some well placed darts or tucks are all that is needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Jase
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM
And by circus I mean curved.

Quoting Mom2Jase:

I thought about that but this top is circus and all my others are more square. I'm not sure how to convert the curves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenny31978
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Where did you buy the pattern from & what style of dress is it? You may be able to shirr the back of the bodice to make it work.

Mom2Jase
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

This is the dress. It's by tiedye diva on etsy.

After a bit I was able to merge the top that fits and the style I needed and ended up with something that will work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilTymomma
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Compare pattern to previous patterns. Your daughters measurements  and pattern measurements would help. Sorry, I wouldnt know the answer to your question so here's a bump!

Love Always,

Angel

typing

LilTymomma
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM

BUMP!

Stillvnu
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting Mom2Jase:

This is the dress. It's by tiedye diva on etsy.

After a bit I was able to merge the top that fits and the style I needed and ended up with something that will work.

That is a cute pattern!  I can't tell from the picture if it is a peasant top with jumper or if it is all together like a dress ... if it is a peasant type top it probably won't need much altering (maybe take out some of the fullness front and back) ... if it is a jumper I would just stitch in some "rows" of elastic to sheer the back to make it fit ... then can be taken out for longer use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN