Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

need help ladies who know how to tie dye....

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
I am making two woven wrap baby carriers, one for myself and one for a lady that I am craft trading with in another group. I bought white 100% woven cotton gauze to make them. I have no idea on what type of dye to use, so I need y'alls help. Also, I am wanting to tie dye a peace sign on it, which will mark the middle and also go over baby's back, or I'm thinking of hand embroidering one on, can't decide yet. What are you ladies thoughts? I have so much work to do on them in a little time, I have to have one done by Tuesday at four and the other done Wednesday :/ and I can't figure out my sewing machine, so I have to hand sew the edges. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissElissa21
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Bump! I have never tie dyed, but I would love to know the answers, what a fun project!

melliburger
by Melli on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I've never tie dyed!

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Oh man. I have NO idea how to make a peace sign. I tie dye all the time though! Just did a blanket and four shirts yesterday! They need to sit for 24 hours before rinsing for best color setting results otherwise they fade a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM
How have you never tie dyed?? It is sooo fun! :D

Quoting MissElissa21:

Bump! I have never tie dyed, but I would love to know the answers, what a fun project!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy.etc.
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM
What brand dye do you use?

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Oh man. I have NO idea how to make a peace sign. I tie dye all the time though! Just did a blanket and four shirts yesterday! They need to sit for 24 hours before rinsing for best color setting results otherwise they fade a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissElissa21
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I don't know, I have always wanted to, but have never done it. Not even when I was a kid. I should really do it one day. 

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

How have you never tie dyed?? It is sooo fun! :D

Quoting MissElissa21:

MissElissa21
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Oh, I have an idea!!! What if you tie dye it whatever color you want and then once it's rinsed and dried you draw out a peace sign where you want it with bleach and a paint brush? I would think that would work.

mommy.etc.
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Hmm, that just might work. Good thinking (I think). LOL.

Quoting MissElissa21:

Oh, I have an idea!!! What if you tie dye it whatever color you want and then once it's rinsed and dried you draw out a peace sign where you want it with bleach and a paint brush? I would think that would work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-JC-
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Put the dye in a ketchup squeeze bottle and draw it on. lol. its real easy.

I use rit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I use Tulip dye, from the packs. It has to set 24 hours 48 for even brighter results. Then you rinse it, while tie, until the water runs clean. Then unband, and rinse again, until the water runs clean. Toss it in the washing machine on cold (rinse cold in the sink too), no soap, then in the dryer. and tada! Color set!

Quoting mommy.etc.:

What brand dye do you use?

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN