Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Making great progress with pads

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like I have been tinkering with some cloth pads (info) forever! I have been researching and wondering and configuring in my head for months about how to make some pads that work WITHOUT the use of another personal hygeine product (cup or tampon). I had to choose a bottom, top, and absorbant layer(s) and then wings or no wings. Thank goodness for a (very patient) tester besides me, who may even get to test them for PP use :) Here is what I have so far:

PUL for the bottom, 4 layers of cotton flannel for absorbancy, and a very soft cuddle fleece for the top.

Wings or no wings? How about we test both :) I am making one with and one without wings to see which we prefer! 

I am writing up a tutorial with pictures in case they work awesome! I hope I am not wasting my time, but sometimes you just have to take a leap. I figure even if they don't work awesome, they will still work fine, and it's one less disposable product a day we aren't using! Small wins!

I am hoping to serge them on Thursday or sometime next week!

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Replies (11-17):
sew4fun
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I have used mama cloth in the past ( just wasnt right for me) I noticed that ones with wings helped them stay in place more . BUT the wings were so big that it was uncomfortable. I have not seen mama cloth with a slight "wing" that would be so awesome ! it sounds like you are doing great ! Good luck with it all

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM

That's so great!!!!  Good luck to you Melissa, I know you've been working on these for a while now.  It's wonderful that you have figured out a system!  :)

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Good luck..I've always wanted to make some like the huge ones you get after you have a baby...I'm a extremely heavy heavy bleeder (sorry tmi) and I usually use 5 pads at night and STILL soak through..That's why I switched to the diva...Which the wonderful little boys saw it in my bathroom and it's disappeared and I've searched everywhere...

MissElissa21
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

OMG lol That's what I am worried about with getting a cup, is that one of my kids will wander off with it!!! I have some mama cloth from someone on here, they are comfy and clean easily, but they don't work as well as I would like them too, and I don't have enough of them to last my whole cycle :(

Quoting lil_mama06:

Good luck..I've always wanted to make some like the huge ones you get after you have a baby...I'm a extremely heavy heavy bleeder (sorry tmi) and I usually use 5 pads at night and STILL soak through..That's why I switched to the diva...Which the wonderful little boys saw it in my bathroom and it's disappeared and I've searched everywhere...

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

The ones that wandered off with it aren't my kids..MY KIDS know better..I've had the Diva for a little over a year..I only had 2 accidents with mine..I didnt empty it before bed..I can get 5-6 hours on my heavy,heavy days...I loved the diva..I've never heard of mama cloth..That must be a name for the homemade pads?..I think my 15 year old is still interested in trying homemade pads out..Couldn't get my eldest 2 to try them for nothing....

Quoting MissElissa21:

OMG lol That's what I am worried about with getting a cup, is that one of my kids will wander off with it!!! I have some mama cloth from someone on here, they are comfy and clean easily, but they don't work as well as I would like them too, and I don't have enough of them to last my whole cycle :(

Quoting lil_mama06:

MissElissa21
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

mama cloth is just a term for the cloth pads :) I am thinking about ordering a cup soon, I am still researching each of them and deciding which one I want, it's a bit of money to lose out on if I don't like it. 

Quoting lil_mama06:

The ones that wandered off with it aren't my kids..MY KIDS know better..I've had the Diva for a little over a year..I only had 2 accidents with mine..I didnt empty it before bed..I can get 5-6 hours on my heavy,heavy days...I loved the diva..I've never heard of mama cloth..That must be a name for the homemade pads?..I think my 15 year old is still interested in trying homemade pads out..Couldn't get my eldest 2 to try them for nothing....

Quoting MissElissa21:

Quoting lil_mama06:

jazi1105
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I love cloth pads. I have used them for almost 4 years. I love it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN