Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Cricut machine! i want 1 but have Questions??

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 18 Replies
Okay so for the longest i been curious they look so fun, but seam like all the cartriges are expencive, Would any one recomend the Cricut mini? Or which is your favorite? Is the Cricut webpage free? What is the difference of all the machines? Is the more expencive ones have more freedom? can all the machines connect to the computer? Please ive never own one! Need all the info i could get =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I want one too but I'm looking into the Silhouette Cameo. There are no cartridges to buy, everything is done online. And the reviews are much better. 

I'm still not sure what I want though. I better figure it out because I'm getting whichever I pick for my birthday in October. 

BdayBByWish
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Lol ima have to check that out too, im doing my christmas list Lol its either that or a tablet, i think i would have more fun with a Cricut! Do you know if that machine cuts thicker paper and different sizes? Im on my phone so it takes forever to google stuff

Quoting countrymomma81:

I want one too but I'm looking into the Silhouette Cameo. There are no cartridges to buy, everything is done online. And the reviews are much better. 

I'm still not sure what I want though. I better figure it out because I'm getting whichever I pick for my birthday in October. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

The cricut mini is made for use with the Cricut Craftroom, which is free.  However, you still have to purchase cuts/cartridges.  The Baby Bug, Create, Expression and Expression 2 all basically work the same, however, the Expressions have more button features and bigger cutting mats than the bug and the create.  The Create has more button features than the Bug.  The Cricut cake is used solely for cooking/baking, decorating, etc. and can not be used with paper.  The Imagine cuts AND prints.  All of these machines will work with the Craftroom and all carts, regular cricut or cake will work in all machines.  The imagine carts are the ONLY ones that will only work in the imagine (and I believe the E2, but won't print, just cut).  All machines can connect to the computer.

I have the Create and the Expression and I love them both.  I had my Create first and not long after wanted the bigger Expression.

I hope that answered your questions.

As for cartridges, you can usually find them for a pretty good price.  There are several places to get them...Ebay, Cricutmachine.com, customcrops, etc.

parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM

The cricut can cut pretty much any paper - you just have to adjust the blade depth, speed and pressure.  I'm sure the cameo can too, however, I don't have one of them.

The only drawback for the Cameo is that it only works while connected to the computer.  So, you have to be connected all the time to use it.  With the Cricut, you have the option of using the computer, but can also use it without.

If being connected to the computer isn't a big deal to you, then it's an option worth exploring.

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Lol ima have to check that out too, im doing my christmas list Lol its either that or a tablet, i think i would have more fun with a Cricut! Do you know if that machine cuts thicker paper and different sizes? Im on my phone so it takes forever to google stuff

Quoting countrymomma81:

dancing_girldancer

countrymomma81
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Yeah see in my case I'm making a craft room out of my garage so I'll have my desktop hooked up in there and it won't be an issue. 

What looks good about the cameo for me is that you don't have to use cartridges. You buy your fonts or whatever online for about $1.99 a piece, and you can use whatever other fonts you can find, not only those offered by Silhouette. I know a person that has the Cricut Expression and another that has the Cameo. I made them friend each other on FB so they could compare....lol. They both agreed the Cameo was better for what they are using it for. The one with the Cricut is selling hers for a Cameo. 

But, what's best for some isn't best for all. If you are really interested OP, I'd find a computer somewhere and do some long hard researching before you buy something that expensive. 

Quoting parkerkamismom:

The cricut can cut pretty much any paper - you just have to adjust the blade depth, speed and pressure.  I'm sure the cameo can too, however, I don't have one of them.

The only drawback for the Cameo is that it only works while connected to the computer.  So, you have to be connected all the time to use it.  With the Cricut, you have the option of using the computer, but can also use it without.

If being connected to the computer isn't a big deal to you, then it's an option worth exploring.

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Quoting countrymomma81:

parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Yep, all comes down to preference.

For me, I don't want to be connected to my computer - I like that I can pack up and craft anywhere. 

You don't necessarily have to buy cartridges anymore, you can download fonts/images in the craftroom.

I do, however, think I want a Cameo to supplement with my Cricut, but I won't even consider buying one until I get a room of my own and a computer that's strictly for use with it.  lol  I'll be waiting a while....

Quoting countrymomma81:

Yeah see in my case I'm making a craft room out of my garage so I'll have my desktop hooked up in there and it won't be an issue. 

What looks good about the cameo for me is that you don't have to use cartridges. You buy your fonts or whatever online for about $1.99 a piece, and you can use whatever other fonts you can find, not only those offered by Silhouette. I know a person that has the Cricut Expression and another that has the Cameo. I made them friend each other on FB so they could compare....lol. They both agreed the Cameo was better for what they are using it for. The one with the Cricut is selling hers for a Cameo. 

But, what's best for some isn't best for all. If you are really interested OP, I'd find a computer somewhere and do some long hard researching before you buy something that expensive. 

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Quoting countrymomma81:

dancing_girldancer

countrymomma81
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Really? I didn't know you didn't need to buy cartridges anymore with the Cricut. That was the main reason my friend wanted to get rid of hers. 

What would you need the Cameo for if you've got Cricuts already? Not asking to be rude, I really want to know. I'm getting one or the other in October and I'm doing research. 

Quoting parkerkamismom:

For me, I don't want to be connected to my computer - I like that I can pack up and craft anywhere. 

You don't necessarily have to buy cartridges anymore, you can download fonts/images in the craftroom.

I do, however, think I want a Cameo to supplement with my Cricut, but I won't even consider buying one until I get a room of my own and a computer that's strictly for use with it.  lol  I'll be waiting a while....

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Quoting countrymomma81:

parkerkamismom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Just for different cut options - I'm in no hurry to get a Cameo, just something I'd like to have someday.  Cricut has a lot of digital images available, digital cartridges, etc.  Prices all different.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Really? I didn't know you didn't need to buy cartridges anymore with the Cricut. That was the main reason my friend wanted to get rid of hers. 

What would you need the Cameo for if you've got Cricuts already? Not asking to be rude, I really want to know. I'm getting one or the other in October and I'm doing research. 

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Quoting countrymomma81:

dancing_girldancer

roxxyt
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
My mom gave me her expressions and I really have no use for it do it sits in its box, because I don't do paper crafts and not sure what else it's good for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

This is the comparison I have been reading. Being a Cricut owner, have you found most of the negatives to be true?

Also, if you read a little further down someone states that with an SD card the Cameo is just as portable. Do you have any idea what this could mean? You need a computer to use an SD card so it would still need to be hooked up, right? That line just confused me. 

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=3132623

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Just for different cut options - I'm in no hurry to get a Cameo, just something I'd like to have someday.  Cricut has a lot of digital images available, digital cartridges, etc.  Prices all different.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Quoting BdayBByWish:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN