Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

A crazy mod podge question

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

My little brother has an old surf board and its foam.  Because its so old and worn, the top of it is like sand paper and scratches you.  Because its made of foam this isn't an easy fix, we can't just do a fiberglass repair.  A new surf board of this quality is around $250.   Here is my crazy idea...  But I'm not thinking it will work.  Mod podge it to seal in the surface?  But how do I make that water proof for the ocean??  Ideas??  

You know you want it

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
.betty.white.
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Oh and a used one like this would cost about $200. Its not mine so I'm not paying for a new one :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by Heids on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Resin and Acrylic is waterproof...mod podge is water based,so it defintely would need t be sealed...I have no clue on the weight factors,but some type of acrylic or resin would be your best bet to waterproof-though my question is will that tamper wth the weight distribution?

.betty.white.
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This is a great idea!

Its foam so its supposed to be heavy - because of the way its made its supposed to be like training wheels sort to speak.  So, it wouldn't matter if it was heavier a bit.  I can't imagine anything that would weigh it down so much that could possibly be worse than what it is now, I take them out and they end up covered in scrapes.  I switched them boards at one point and it took off all the skin on my big toe, and a week later its yet to heal.  So, anything to smooth down the surface would be perfect.  Right now they tape up their feet to go lol.  Like I said anything is better than what it is now.  

Can I find this at a hardware or craft store? 

Quoting ZsMommy:

Resin and Acrylic is waterproof...mod podge is water based,so it defintely would need t be sealed...I have no clue on the weight factors,but some type of acrylic or resin would be your best bet to waterproof-though my question is will that tamper wth the weight distribution?

You know you want it

ZsMommy
by Heids on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah-actually Lowes/Home Depot....If you look in the area where there's the acrylics for tubs n counter top bars you'll find it. There's also spray acrylic you can find at craft stores and Walmart and home repair stores...it's just a matter of deciding which method you want to try. Good luck.

Quoting .betty.white.:

This is a great idea!

Its foam so its supposed to be heavy - because of the way its made its supposed to be like training wheels sort to speak.  So, it wouldn't matter if it was heavier a bit.  I can't imagine anything that would weigh it down so much that could possibly be worse than what it is now, I take them out and they end up covered in scrapes.  I switched them boards at one point and it took off all the skin on my big toe, and a week later its yet to heal.  So, anything to smooth down the surface would be perfect.  Right now they tape up their feet to go lol.  Like I said anything is better than what it is now.  

Can I find this at a hardware or craft store? 

Quoting ZsMommy:

MissElissa21
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to help a friend make boards, but I can't remember what we used to seal it up. Good luck! It looks like Heids (Zsmommy) got you covered, I hope it works out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)