Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Prayer shawl question?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
Sorry for all the questions but one of the Xmas gifts I want to loom knit is a prayer shawl for my mil, my Fil has leukemia and I want to make it gender neutral for both of them and have it blessed at church before giving it to them. But my question is, is there a certain pattern you have to follow to make it a prayer shawl? Or a certain length?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melliburger
by Melli on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM
There is not. I have been looking them up as a side project, and most of them simply say to put good thoughts and prayers into the shawl. A quick google search should help too :) I'm not in my computer or I'd try to find some of the websites I looked at before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Not sure, I am pretty sure you just infuse it with positivity. :)

WhichMommee
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Melli is right, I've made several myself (none on a loom however) and the basics of a prayer shawl are not in how it's made but the intent in making it.  That being said most of the written patterns that have "prayer shawl" in the title are simple.  This is because it's easier to meditate and focus on that positive, healing, prayerful etc intent if you're not doing something SUPER complicated (like lace).  However, that's a general rule.  I've made a very complicate lace knit shawl for a friend specifically as a prayer shawl.  I chose the pattern because it spoke to me and I thought the recipient would really like it.

A Dot or Moss Stitch is popular, as are different forms of ribbing, or the trinity stitch.

Concerning length, I usually do mine at least 40", but it depends on the shape too and obviously a more petite recipient doesn't need as much.  I like to think of mine as "spiritual hugs" though so that makes me tend to make REALLY big ones...

MissElissa21
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Bump! It looks like you got your answer! I can't wait to see it when it's done.

dqsmami06
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Thanks girls yes I sure did I'm working on a scarf now in my nephews school colors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN