Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

cheap sewing machine?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

Can someone suggest a good cheap sewing machine? I want to start sewing and I was thinking of buying a cheap machine to get myself start (less than $100)

by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM
I have a brother machine that I got at Walmart for under $90 I believe :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mami2oneboy
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Same here mine was around 100 at Walmart

Quoting melliburger:

I have a brother machine that I got at Walmart for under $90 I believe :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

awesome.

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Check thrift stores, but just so you know, you get what you pay for. I would go buy one from a thrift store that works and has the cords (I see them ALL THE TIME still in boxes, or with everything taped to them) and then take it to a repair shop. An adjustment is $30-$70 but you get a completely repaired machine, for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

clp0930
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM

That's a good idea. Dh said he'd get me one.

joanandgene
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Look up sewing machines/ repair in your phone book.  Places like that usually have machines available that people have traded up for a newer usually more expensive model.  Your older machines have metal components as compared to the new inexpensive machines offered today w/ plastic parts which can easily wear and break.

I purchased my pfaff 20 years ago thru a shop like this and I am still very happy w/ my purchase.  It is a real workhorse.  I never had any trouble with it and no repairs were ever needed.  Compared to what machines can do today, I really have a basic plus machine.  Yes, I spent a little more for the quality, but I find I have everything I need and I'm not bothered with a machine that might last a few years and need to be replaced because of the plastic parts wearing out.

Also as mentioned above thrift shops can be a great place to start shopping for bargains.

Sewsofun
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't get a cheap brother machine. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I spent 150 at a sewing machine store, they still had to have it sent put to be repaired. The tension was messed up from the start. I can't sew with anything but the tightest tension without it turning into a birds nest on the bottom. Plus when I sent to have it repaired, I left it in the box because we were in the middle of moving, when I finally opened it up to use it again, the repair shop didn't send back the tension knob so I've been using a flat head screwdriver ever since!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joanandgene
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yes, it's me again.

If I were you I would visit a friend or neighbor who sews who  you trust and ask them what they like about their machine and if they would give you any pointers or suggestions.  Ask to sew on their machines and try them out to see if you like their brand.  When and if you decide  to  go to a shop that sells all kinds of machines ask about durability and plastic parts. I personally asked for a machine that could sew thru many layers of jeans w/ no problems.  At that time that was about all my children wore.

.  Many friends I have known have gone the cheap route and started sewing only to have problems sewing anything.  It was not them, but their cheap machines making a mess of the fabric.

I would like to see you with a quality machine to make your sewing experience as pleasurable as possible

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I agree.... I would SOOOOOOOOOOOO get a good GOOD sewing machine. I have a Brother (one of the ones that are like $70-80 at Walmart) decent, but a pain the in ^(*&*&^%&^O(* )(&*(*^*&^( *(**&^*&%^%$%#%#^%^%#^% lol to say the least when thread gets stuck, doesn't sew right because tension messes up after I have it set the right way and haven't changed it at all and it's the same fabric, thread etc. I honestly can't wait until I can afford a GOOOD Singer.

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

Check thrift stores, but just so you know, you get what you pay for. I would go buy one from a thrift store that works and has the cords (I see them ALL THE TIME still in boxes, or with everything taped to them) and then take it to a repair shop. An adjustment is $30-$70 but you get a completely repaired machine, for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with the damn thing.

Quoting Sewsofun:

Don't get a cheap brother machine. I have had nothing but trouble with mine. I spent 150 at a sewing machine store, they still had to have it sent put to be repaired. The tension was messed up from the start. I can't sew with anything but the tightest tension without it turning into a birds nest on the bottom. Plus when I sent to have it repaired, I left it in the box because we were in the middle of moving, when I finally opened it up to use it again, the repair shop didn't send back the tension knob so I've been using a flat head screwdriver ever since!

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)