Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Do you make a living crafting?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love to craft, but everything I make is for DD, family, friends, or myself. My aunt has commissioned me to make a few bibs for friends of hers, but that is the only time I've been paid to make anything. 

Well, yesterday I was really stressed. I get anxiety attacks, and it has been a rough week. I started school and there is a lot of pressure on me about deciding what my next step is. Also, DH is job hunting and our plans to try for another baby next month are now completely in the air. So, I was having an attack and I sat down at the sewing machine and taught myself how to embroider with it. Within 5 minutes the tightness in my chest was gone! I felt so much better and so relaxed.

So, what I am getting at is does anyone here make their living doing this stuff and what does that entail? I would love to make crafts for a living. Do you have to focus on one thing or can you do many crafts? 

Here is a list of what I do:

Embroidering (mainly bibs, but I can do anything)

Sewing (clothes, doll clothes, pillows)

crocheting (not well!)

making bows

scrapbooking

making costumes

And I really want to learn how to quilt!

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katie6382
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I own a store called Perfectly Imperfect and about 50% of everything I sell is either handmade or upcycled by me. I make jewelry, wreaths, tutu's, upcycle furniture and do anything else I can think of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

do you have any amish near you they can teach beautiful handquilting......

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

No, no amish in NY that I know of, lol. But there is a great little quilt shop in the small town where I live and I have taken a class on using my sewing machine there years ago. They teach quilting as well. 

Quoting mariesmama:

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM
5 moms liked this

I do! I have been doing it for three years solid now (just passed my three year anniversary. :) ). I love it.

As for what it entails, it can entail a lot. But, it takes a LOT of time. It doesn't just happen over night. Some of my products are viewed more than 900 times before they are purchased. You have to build a following, engage your fans, create interest in your products, and it takes a LOT of work. I work from the time my son goes to school, sometimes until bedtime (12-14 hours) every day.But I LOVE every second of it.

I highly recommend checking out Storenvy.com. It is a free to use e-commerce site, that is fully customizable, unlimited listings, and they have a great support team to help you get started. :) If you have any specific questions about starting out or anything, or setting up on Storenvy.com, shoot me a PM and I will help you out!

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Thank you so much! I will definitely check that out! I think over the next couple of months (I have school now so it will take me longer) I will start to build up a good amount of stuff that I make before I list anything. I will definitely PM you if I have any questions!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I do! I have been doing it for three years solid now (just passed my three year anniversary. :) ). I love it.

As for what it entails, it can entail a lot. But, it takes a LOT of time. It doesn't just happen over night. Some of my products are viewed more than 900 times before they are purchased. You have to build a following, engage your fans, create interest in your products, and it takes a LOT of work. I work from the time my son goes to school, sometimes until bedtime (12-14 hours) every day.But I LOVE every second of it.

I highly recommend checking out Storenvy.com. It is a free to use e-commerce site, that is fully customizable, unlimited listings, and they have a great support team to help you get started. :) If you have any specific questions about starting out or anything, or setting up on Storenvy.com, shoot me a PM and I will help you out!

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

i want to!  how did you start!  so far i can make ferret and small animal hammocks but i would love to learn how to make other things

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM
5 moms liked this

Having a good amount of stuff is an excellent idea! ALSO, go ahead and start making a hype about it now. Start thinking about a business name, get your Storenvy created so the URL is there waiting for you, maybe start a blog and FB fan page, Twitter account, to start talking to people and making connections. :) If you get rooted now and post sneaks peeks, progress shots, write about what the business means to you and how it's growing, people will connect with you, relate to you, and want to support you! :) Great product photos are essential in selling on line! :) So I would research how to get amazing product photos as well before you launch. Decide on how you want to brand, get a logo made, blog buttons, etc. :)

Quoting gina6239:

Thank you so much! I will definitely check that out! I think over the next couple of months (I have school now so it will take me longer) I will start to build up a good amount of stuff that I make before I list anything. I will definitely PM you if I have any questions!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

LovingJayMom
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM
No but i would love to
Jennifair
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

What part of NY are you from? There are Amish family's up North. St Lawrence County. My aunts are very much into quilting, One even has a shop. I wish you luck =) 

Quoting gina6239:

No, no amish in NY that I know of, lol. But there is a great little quilt shop in the small town where I live and I have taken a class on using my sewing machine there years ago. They teach quilting as well. 

Quoting mariesmama:

Dewinter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't just yet, but I am planning on getting a both at the renaissance faires next year :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)