Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

what kind of craft can you do that isnt so darn expensive?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

I need to get my self into a hobby or something. But, i dont wanna spend thousands of bucks on this hobby something fun easy any good ideas for me to do? especially with winter coming up.

Amber Z.
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Loom knitting! or crocheting or knitting! They do nto require much, and if you're just starting out, you can start out on cheap yarn :) or cross stitching, they have super small kits that have everything you need to do the project!

willngingersmom
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Crochet is good. Get a hook or two and some Red Heart yarn and you'll be good to go :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinab313
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I think most of the knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery things are all pretty cost effective. It also depends how much use you want to get out of the things you make too. You might spend some money getting materials but if you get something functional out of it you will kind of recoup the cost. To me the most important thing is to choose something that you LOVE the finished product of and to just take your time to learn the craft and do it right. IMO it will be a bigger waste of $ if you do something cheaper that you don't love/use than if you do something pricier that you will keep for years and years. (Also chances are the pricier thing might take longer so you don't make as many). I love to scour etsy and the Martha Stewarts websites to see what kinds of crafts really catch my eye.

anz2008
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

i have a hook and yarn but i dont know how to completely do crochet. I am gonna have to go to hobby lobby sometime. my grandma used to do embroidery. I used to do wreaths but i stopped doing that.

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Any yarn craft is nice. You can knit, loom knit, crochet, spin all for a great cost. Hand quilting with old clothing is a good thing too. I cut all our old clothes and clothing I find cheaply at tag sales into squares and make patchwork blankets. I can get trash bags full of clothing for free many times.

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM

You can learn more about crochet for free on youtube or at http://www.knitpicks.com/. Plus Knit Picks has cheap/high quality yarn. I buy most of my yarn from there or from http://www.yarn.com/ during their giant sales. Plus you can take great classes at any yarn store or craft stores. I have taken numerous classes over the years and we live on a modest budget. 

Quoting anz2008:

i have a hook and yarn but i dont know how to completely do crochet. I am gonna have to go to hobby lobby sometime. my grandma used to do embroidery. I used to do wreaths but i stopped doing that.

anz2008
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM

do u have to have a sewing machine to do the quilting?

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I spent many months on bedrest with my pregnancies. I did all hand quilting.  

Quoting anz2008:

do u have to have a sewing machine to do the quilting?

WhichMommee
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Like everyone has said, yarn/fiber arts are the least expensive.  They can be time consuming though, so if you're looking for immediate gratification choose your projects wisely (dishcloths, hats, small or skinny scarves, small decorative items).  If you have a lot of patience and like pretty things I suggest lacework.

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM
We are just getting into crochet so thanks for this post!

Quoting falling.rayn:

You can learn more about crochet for free on youtube or at http://www.knitpicks.com/. Plus Knit Picks has cheap/high quality yarn. I buy most of my yarn from there or from http://www.yarn.com/ during their giant sales. Plus you can take great classes at any yarn store or craft stores. I have taken numerous classes over the years and we live on a modest budget. 

Quoting anz2008:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN