Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Wood frame...help?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
I need to attach two pieces of wood at a 90 degree angle. Normally this would be easy BUT the wood is 2mm thick slats. No room for dowels, nails...anything but glue really, and I'm not confident that would be sturdy enough. Is there a way to do this or am I going to have to suck it up and jigsaw the pieces?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM
I'm sorry I have no idea bump for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My dh says use wood glue and find a way to clamp it together until the glue is dry.

AngryBob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

My dh says use wood glue and find a way to clamp it together until the glue is dry.

this. i used to put frames together, and if there's no room for anything else, glue and clamps. leave it clamped overnight at the very least.

is there enough wood to maybe put staples in it?

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM
Not enough room for staples since the wood is prone to splitting along the grain, but it occurred to me if I was mindful of space I could add a few braces to help hold it in place. I'm not sure how to explain what I'm making...it's sort of like a picture frame, but it's meant to finish what it goes into rather than what goes into it. Basically, I'm covering the edges of a hole to make it look nicer :-) So it's 3D. Complicates matters, but it'll look better in the end. I think I'm slowly figuring it out - hope so, anyway! Woodwork isn't really my thing; I'm more the sewing type.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Tia on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I want to see what you're making!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I decided to remove the ventilation grates from the laundry room door so I could keep the litter box in there. I should have guessed the door was super cheap because it's so light but I didn't realize quite how bad it was o.O They didn't even bother cutting the hole neatly! It looks awful so I'm 'prettying it up' by adding the frame...I guess you could call it a wrap-around? There will be two 'picture frame' type pieces (one on each side of the door) and a connector in the center to cover up all of the ugly.

Sorry for the poor angle...I have a headache and no care to bend/crouch down for a good pic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Added one of what I have so far. You can also see what it is I'm trying to cover and why.

Quoting RutterMama:

I want to see what you're making!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)