Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Quilters, Blanket Makers, and sewing crafters....Please send me some tips!

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have never made a quilt before, aside from stitching together tshirt squares and then not finishing it. However, I am bound and determined to tackle this project, which looks fairly complicated. I'd like to turn this picture into a quilt top, staying as accurate to the picture as possible. Though, I may simplify it by taking out the background characters and only using Belle and Adam.

How should I do it? For painting and sketching, I used to take a picture, block it off and then draw by square. Should I apply that quilting? Is there a different way to go about this? How would you do it?

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christinab313
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I've never made a quilt myself either, but this looks like an insanely hard project for someone who has never quilted. If it were me, I'd make a small practive quilt to learn how to do it first, then go for it!

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM
I'm very good at sewing, and I've done many sewing projects through the last ten years, so I think I can figure it out. But, I'm not sure what the best way is as Ive never seen something like this done. I never did quilting bc I just didn't have the patience for it, but I know this will be even longer an harder! Determined to do it for my daughter's beauty and the beast bedroom.

I contemplated doing a crochet version, but I believe that would probably be harder to get the details correct.

Quoting christinab313:

I've never made a quilt myself either, but this looks like an insanely hard project for someone who has never quilted. If it were me, I'd make a small practive quilt to learn how to do it first, then go for it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Depending on the size I wanted to make, I would try to get the picture that size or even a little bit bigger. Then I would block it off and do it square by square. For me, that sounds like the easiest way to go about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTMommy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Honestly, I would get all the colors, cut them to shape and hand sew them all together where the lines are to a base sheet, then quilt the base sheet does that make sense? How good are you at drawing? you could draw it out with fabric pens/pencils and just embroider the lines/seams

The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM

You should hit up Cara Wilson, she is like, master quilter. No joke. I only know her on Twitter but she runs a weekly chat full of quilters, she has been in magazines, etc. She would definitely have some ideas!

Or visit your local quilting shop, and ask them to help you make a template

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HTMommy:

Honestly, I would get all the colors, cut them to shape and hand sew them all together where the lines are to a base sheet, then quilt the base sheet does that make sense? How good are you at drawing? you could draw it out with fabric pens/pencils and just embroider the lines/seams

this sounds easiest to me my mom use to peice stuff together on a base background

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I actually didn't think of this, I think I'll do that! My only concern is how to cut the fabric to shape, but be able to sew it perfectly so the edges are tucked and don't fray. There's a lot of circles and semi circles in the picture that mesh on top of squares.

Quoting HTMommy:

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle.

Turtledoves
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I'll look into that!

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

You should hit up Cara Wilson, she is like, master quilter. No joke. I only know her on Twitter but she runs a weekly chat full of quilters, she has been in magazines, etc. She would definitely have some ideas!

Or visit your local quilting shop, and ask them to help you make a template

in lovebaby girlpuppy

HTMommy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Because looking at the pic its like a mosaic type picture and I think it would look really cool, I mean you know going into it, its going to alot of work just because of the detail, but if you already have knowledge of sewing and such, you should do fine. Cut the pieces to the relative shape and pin them into place then sew accordingly.

Quoting Turtledoves:

I actually didn't think of this, I think I'll do that! My only concern is how to cut the fabric to shape, but be able to sew it perfectly so the edges are tucked and don't fray. There's a lot of circles and semi circles in the picture that mesh on top of squares.

Quoting HTMommy:

melliburger
by Melli on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM
I have no idea! But wanted to wish you good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)