Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween Display *edit with another question*

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM
  • 17 Replies
I need to make some outside decorations that won't get all messed up in the damp weather. What are some good materials that will hold up outside?

Also I was at the Halloween store and saw skeleton flamingos and ghostly garden gnomes. I figured I could just paint regular ones. What would be the best sealer for that?

Any good tips on the fake web? How to keep that from becoming a nasty mess?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamKlug
by Sammie on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I saw a post on Pinterest of some really cool outdoor ghosts.  Take chicken wire and form it to the shape of a dress or other silhouettes and spray paint them glow in the dark.  Set them out on the lawn, let them charge up in the day time and at night, viola!  You have instant ghosts!

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I made skeleton flamingos last year. The trick s the paint.... You have to get plastic pain or it chips off sooooo easy. Painters touch is the best, so I was told. To seal, just use polyurethane clear gloss spray. I have strong sprinklers in my yard and they do fine. Foam blocks are good for headstones. I want to do the chicken wire ghosts, but chicken wire has gotten stupid-expensive. I also ordered a bunch of white pong balls.im going to wire two together, paint pupils on each with glass paint, and place eyes all through the bushes in the front hard. I have a small pond I made out of a stock trough outside with fish and a turtle. On amazon I found a fake alligators head (here made to scare off heron). I'm going to let it float in the pond with a plastic skeleton hand. Finding stuff the weather won't ruin is hard.
gogetem
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I'm discovering why people hate auto correct. Lol!
jessi2girls
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

we ;made a very large spider for our front yard using long twigs/branches, and garbage bags filled with leaves/lawn clippings and a little spray paint to paint on the face.

Lizard_Lina
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I remember making these as a kid! Lol thanks :-)

Quoting jessi2girls:

we ;made a very large spider for our front yard using long twigs/branches, and garbage bags filled with leaves/lawn clippings and a little spray paint to paint on the face.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I love this!

Quoting SamKlug:

I saw a post on Pinterest of some really cool outdoor ghosts.  Take chicken wire and form it to the shape of a dress or other silhouettes and spray paint them glow in the dark.  Set them out on the lawn, let them charge up in the day time and at night, viola!  You have instant ghosts!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Those are all awesome idea. I was trying to think of other ways to do the ghosts and I was thinking what if you fastened the fabric do a foam ball and then put a dowl rod in the center with wire attatched to the bottom like pipe cleaner thickness so that you could bend it to male the waves? Or forgot the wire and fowl rod, keep the foam ball, and just cut the bottom of the fabric so it flows in the wind. I LOVE the aligator in the pond idea.

Quoting gogetem:

I made skeleton flamingos last year. The trick s the paint.... You have to get plastic pain or it chips off sooooo easy. Painters touch is the best, so I was told. To seal, just use polyurethane clear gloss spray. I have strong sprinklers in my yard and they do fine. Foam blocks are good for headstones. I want to do the chicken wire ghosts, but chicken wire has gotten stupid-expensive. I also ordered a bunch of white pong balls.im going to wire two together, paint pupils on each with glass paint, and place eyes all through the bushes in the front hard. I have a small pond I made out of a stock trough outside with fish and a turtle. On amazon I found a fake alligators head (here made to scare off heron). I'm going to let it float in the pond with a plastic skeleton hand. Finding stuff the weather won't ruin is hard.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamKlug
by Sammie on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM

That's what I said!  I love this idea.  Here is the link for it.  If you go to my Pinterest and go to my Halloween board, you will see it there too.

http://inspiringpretty.com/2011/10/07/best-simple-scary-diy-halloween-decorations/

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I love this!

Quoting SamKlug:

Lizard_Lina
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
When I click it, it says oops cafemom can't find it :-(

Quoting SamKlug:

That's what I said!  I love this idea.  Here is the link for it.  If you go to my Pinterest and go to my Halloween board, you will see it there too.

http://inspiringpretty.com/2011/10/07/best-simple-scary-diy-halloween-decorations/

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I love this!

Quoting SamKlug:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

When I click it, it says oops cafemom can't find it :-(

Quoting SamKlug:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I love this!

Quoting SamKlug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)