Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craft Cafe Craft Cafe

Has anyone done free motion quilting/stitching

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I really want to do some free motion stitching and applique but when I tried yesterday I just got a giant mess at the back. I don't have a typical danring foot with the open circle, my machine uses the buttonhole foot for darning. With the regular foot on the foot was too tight for me to move fabric around (I did have the feed dogs down) and without the foot down I got gobbs of bobin thread at the bottom. Any hints?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christinab313
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

BUMP!

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

no my machine can do this i cannot

Rainstorm10
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

What kind of machine do you have? There's a specific free motion quilting foot that you can buy for machines. It looks sort of like this depending on the machine: http://content.janome.com/documents/Image/FreeMotionQuiltingFoot.jpg    But you usually have to buy is separate from what comes with the machine. Keep the feed dogs down. You have to go kinda fast since you're acting like the feed dogs. If you go too slow, you can end up with random gobs of bobbin thread since it's stationary. Check the tension and how the bobbin is threaded. And, some machines are touchy with certain threads. I know that my baby likes YLI thread and pretty much nothing else. If I don't use YLI (there's another thread it's good with, but I can't think of it right now), the thread will constantly break or bunch up. That's all I can think of to do right now without knowing what machine you have.

christinab313
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the great info!! I have a Janome (Magnolia 7330). That foot actually makes a lot of sense to me- the spring part on top looks like the foot would not pin the fabric down in place so much so I could move it. I guess something else on my wish list!

What is YLI thread?

Quoting Rainstorm10:

What kind of machine do you have? There's a specific free motion quilting foot that you can buy for machines. It looks sort of like this depending on the machine: http://content.janome.com/documents/Image/FreeMotionQuiltingFoot.jpg    But you usually have to buy is separate from what comes with the machine. Keep the feed dogs down. You have to go kinda fast since you're acting like the feed dogs. If you go too slow, you can end up with random gobs of bobbin thread since it's stationary. Check the tension and how the bobbin is threaded. And, some machines are touchy with certain threads. I know that my baby likes YLI thread and pretty much nothing else. If I don't use YLI (there's another thread it's good with, but I can't think of it right now), the thread will constantly break or bunch up. That's all I can think of to do right now without knowing what machine you have.

Rainstorm10
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That foot is awesome! It bounces up and down with the spring. Kinda funny to watch. YLI is just a brand of thread. Mettler works too and it's cheaper than YLI. From what I can tell, they're just studier threads compared to some other brands. They sell it at Joanns and Hancock Fabrics. Definitely get the foot though. It'll make things so much easier being able to move the fabric around.

RutterMama
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Bump for ya
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Monster_Mom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I have done it! I just used my basic foot once, another time I used one that had a circle on the end. Haha, don't know the names. It was fun, you just have to get your speed JUST right since you are what is moving the fabric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinab313
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Quoting The_Monster_Mom:

I have done it! I just used my basic foot once, another time I used one that had a circle on the end. Haha, don't know the names. It was fun, you just have to get your speed JUST right since you are what is moving the fabric.

It looks SO fun! I want to make some pillows with kid-style drawings of airplanes for my son. I actually thought of trying out my older machine to see if I could avoid buying a new foot...I just hate dragging it out and I am still drooling over my new machine.

What did you make?

Stillvnu
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Did you make sure to pull up your bobbin thread to the top? That will create a mess on the back.  I would recommend to start by practicing on a scrap and go slow to get the motion down ... you can also practice "doodling" on paper to get the design in your head.  Good luck ... there is a learning curve.

christinab313
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Quoting Stillvnu:

Did you make sure to pull up your bobbin thread to the top? That will create a mess on the back.  I would recommend to start by practicing on a scrap and go slow to get the motion down ... you can also practice "doodling" on paper to get the design in your head.  Good luck ... there is a learning curve.

I had my bobbin thread up- I think the problem was that I could not move my fabric unless I left the foot completely up. I did use a scrap (thank goodness!!) but if I can't get it working I am thinking of going to the local sewing shop where I bought my machine and getting someone to help me figure it out. Now that I've seen what free motion stitching is the possibilities seem endless!! What have you made?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN